April 26, 2024, 09:06:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear sprocket - OEM or after-market?

Started by GeoRocket, November 25, 2021, 07:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoRocket

Hello All -  Happy Thanksgiving!

1995 FLHT 65K miles.  No modifications.  No big problems. 
I've owned it since new, and I want it to last.

I am considering replacing my rear sprocket 40217-79A as it is losing some of the chrome on the teeth.
The profile of the teeth is good - no hourglass nor sharp teeth, no obvious damage other than the flaking chrome.
H-D still makes the part ($260), and I found this aftermarket part here
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/601-396/j-p-cycles-black-70-tooth-rear-belt-pulley

Does anyone have experience with the quality or longevity of the OEM part vs aftermarket?
My tendency is to use OEM, but I am open to suggestions.

Also - I know that the sprockets and belts should ideally be replaced as a set, but my belt and front sprocket are in very good condition.

Thanks for your advice everyone!  I really appreciate all of the knowledge and willingness to help I experience here at HTT!

George

Hossamania

Personally I would stick with oem, but I also wouldn't change it just because of the flaking unless the tooth profile is getting worn or "hooked". The flaking starts pretty early but doesn't affect performance, so if you're doing it just for looks, it won't last long. If the rear tooth profile is worn, so is the front, and it all should probably be changed as a set, including the belt.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

I bought a aftermarket chrome one a few years ago for my 95 flht and the flange came loose on the pulley.
Went back with my oem and 150 k miles on that one.

Buyer beware on after market parts !
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

I just looked up the link to the J&P sprocket, the difference in cost between that and oem is $60, not a lot if shipping is added, I don't find that to be a big enough difference to get away from stock unit that lasted over 60,000 miles and more. Just my take of course.
And it is out of stock.

Ohio HD

Quote from: GeoRocket on November 25, 2021, 07:00:45 AMHello All -  Happy Thanksgiving!

1995 FLHT 65K miles.  No modifications.  No big problems. 
I've owned it since new, and I want it to last.

I am considering replacing my rear sprocket 40217-79A as it is losing some of the chrome on the teeth.
The profile of the teeth is good - no hourglass nor sharp teeth, no obvious damage other than the flaking chrome.
H-D still makes the part ($260), and I found this aftermarket part here
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/601-396/j-p-cycles-black-70-tooth-rear-belt-pulley

Does anyone have experience with the quality or longevity of the OEM part vs aftermarket?
My tendency is to use OEM, but I am open to suggestions.

Also - I know that the sprockets and belts should ideally be replaced as a set, but my belt and front sprocket are in very good condition.

Thanks for your advice everyone!  I really appreciate all of the knowledge and willingness to help I experience here at HTT!

George

You can order that from New Castle HD for $188.94. New Caste is a good HD dealer to work with.

smoserx1

I would go OEM as well.  This is a pretty critical part, not something I want to take a chance with.

calif phil

The rear pulley is one thing that HD got right, I have never seen ANY aftermarket pulley come close to lasting as long, have seen some custom pulleys wear out in a few thousand miles.  I WILL ONLY USE OEM pulleys.

kd

There you go.  Words of experience you can trust.
KD

GeoRocket

Great - thanks much for the feedback everyone. 
I will go with OEM as planned.  It's great that the OEM part is available.  Just one of the many reasons I love H-D.

Also thanks Ohio HD for the tip re NewcastleHD.  They seem like a first class operation judging by their web site.

FYI - the reason I am thinking about replacing the rear sprocket is that I expect the wear of the teeth will likely accelerate once the hard chrome wears off, taking out the belt and transmission sprocket eventually as well.  It seems like cheap insurance to postpone belt replacement, although it contradicts my older post on the "Waddington Effect".  Hmmm....
The other reason is that and I am close to retirement and obsessing over my bike.  Ha!

Thanks again all.

George

jsachs1

Quote from: GeoRocket on November 26, 2021, 06:48:39 AMGreat - thanks much for the feedback everyone. 
I will go with OEM as planned.  It's great that the OEM part is available.  Just one of the many reasons I love H-D.

Also thanks Ohio HD for the tip re NewcastleHD.  They seem like a first class operation judging by their web site.

FYI - the reason I am thinking about replacing the rear sprocket is that I expect the wear of the teeth will likely accelerate once the hard chrome wears off, taking out the belt and transmission sprocket eventually as well.  It seems like cheap insurance to postpone belt replacement, although it contradicts my older post on the "Waddington Effect".  Hmmm....
The other reason is that and I am close to retirement and obsessing over my bike.  Ha!

Thanks again all.

George

100 % correct. When the chrome starts to go, it will kill the belt, and the rest of the sprocket quickly. I would use another stock sprocket as mentioned.
John
John

Hossamania

Quote from: jsachs1 on November 26, 2021, 01:07:47 PM
Quote from: GeoRocket on November 26, 2021, 06:48:39 AMGreat - thanks much for the feedback everyone. 

Thanks again all.

George

100 % correct. When the chrome starts to go, it will kill the belt, and the rest of the sprocket quickly. I would use another stock sprocket as mentioned.
John
John

I guess I didn't realize that about the chrome flaking, it seemed like mine had started a few years after it was new and ran for 18 years and 100,000 miles more. When the belt finally broke, it wasn't the belt's fault.
Sometimes I really do just get lucky!

boooby1744

Is Supermax poly sprockets still refurbishing pulleys?

rigidthumper

Phil Ross passed in 2009, and his brother & wife took over production for a few years. Haven't seen anything from them since 2012. They still have a web page.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?