April 26, 2024, 09:38:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

31 front pulley on 13 road glide

Started by Raleigh111, November 26, 2021, 05:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raleigh111

Anyone swap to 31 front pulley with stock belt? I have read both.  Trying to decide to do this or 49 clutch basket?  If I am correct to go to 49 I need aftermarket clutch basket and longer chain. Everything is all apart so now is good time.
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

kd

KD

boooby1744

tommy g

I have the 49, it came from Evo Industries with the correct chain and retained my stock clutch assembly.
09 Softail. I do like the improved gear ratio.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

nibroc

:gob:

I got a 34 on both my evos

they're NOT stump pullers

............................. :chop:

hrdtail78

I swapped on my 09 and retained stock belt.  The cam was barely enough so I welded spacers to the swing arm.
Semper Fi

Raleigh111

Quote from: hrdtail78 on November 30, 2021, 12:58:07 PMI swapped on my 09 and retained stock belt.  The cam was barely enough so I welded spacers to the swing arm.
Not looking good on my end right now. 31-68
Any tips? I see 139 as the option to fix?

harpwrench

Die grinder to the slot, tack some spacers on the swingarm for the cams (1/4" key stock works well) and keep the stock belt

kd

What hrdtail and harpwrench said  :up:   It'll all work with the stock belt and some 1/4" key stock for the cam will insure the adjuster has enough reach.  Some folks that have done it did die grind a little touch out of the rear of the slot but not everyone felt the need. 

If you do this "and" go with the 49 tooth clutch sprocket you'll end up at 3.16 final ratio which IMO is perfect. My experience anyway.

You haven't said what engine and power or how hard you ride from time to time.  You can go with the full Evo Industries basket and gain the strength or call them and ask to buy the sprocket and chain only. They are great to deal with.
KD

Raleigh111

Quote from: kd on November 30, 2021, 03:36:21 PMWhat hrdtail and harpwrench said  :up:   It'll all work with the stock belt and some 1/4" key stock for the cam will insure the adjuster has enough reach.  Some folks that have done it did die grind a little touch out of the rear of the slot but not everyone felt the need. 

If you do this "and" go with the 49 tooth clutch sprocket you'll end up at 3.16 final ratio which IMO is perfect. My experience anyway.

You haven't said what engine and power or how hard you ride from time to time.  You can go with the full Evo Industries basket and gain the strength or call them and ask to buy the sprocket and chain only. They are great to deal with.
Its going to be a 124 with mackie 598 and some heads done up by hd street, 11-1 comp, I put lots of miles on this one 2 up so no bar hopper, not sure if I want to do the 49 basket as lots miles on hwy?

Raleigh111

Started on rear swing arm and found a couple .200 woodruff keys? Now trick part tack keys to swing arm. I wish someone had a 70 rear pulley :(

kd

Quote from: Raleigh111 on November 30, 2021, 03:55:09 PM
Quote from: kd on November 30, 2021, 03:36:21 PMWhat hrdtail and harpwrench said  :up:  It'll all work with the stock belt and some 1/4" key stock for the cam will insure the adjuster has enough reach.  Some folks that have done it did die grind a little touch out of the rear of the slot but not everyone felt the need. 

Its going to be a 124 with mackie 598 and some heads done up by hd street, 11-1 comp, I put lots of miles on this one 2 up so no bar hopper, not sure if I want to do the 49 basket as lots miles on hwy?

I would say you qualify as getting full value from the Evo Industries basket.  The stock basket is weak when it comes to using the power on tap.  There are others that sell tough baskets but some of those are rebranded from them. Turboprop ran a few pics here on a failure he had on the highway and he was damn lucky. Still lots of damage.  On the up side you can get the basket, sprocket and chain as an assembly.  I have one and REALLY beat on it.  I also run lots of Hwy miles but didn't build a big block to toddle around.  :smilep:  BTW The 3.15 ratio I have now after converting to chain (damn belts were breaking  :crook: ) is perfect from the parking lot to the freeway.
KD

kd

Here's a pic of the mod on the swing arm I was using with a belt.  I now run a chain drive RB Racing swingarm with elongated slots to allow quick rear sprocket changes.
KD

Raleigh111

Quote from: kd on November 30, 2021, 04:53:57 PMHere's a pic of the mod on the swing arm I was using with a belt.  I now run a chain drive RB Racing swingarm with elongated slots to allow quick rear sprocket changes.
whos chain drive you running?

kd

RB Racing rear Cush hub and sprocket design. I can have all sizes of  front and rear sprockets made on his pattern at PBI and other suppliers.  I also use his swing arm chain conversion.  This is for a 2011 RGU.
KD