April 26, 2024, 10:58:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gauges Discussion

Started by Ohio HD, December 07, 2021, 06:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Well since my guy at NC tells me that HD has the in dash oil temperature gauge on BO till maybe April, I'm looking for something else.

This of course leads me to these two companies. Dakota Digital and KOSO North America.
I'm now thinking, maybe I'd like to have an all digital dash, you know, older eyes and all. 

I think black faces and black bezels would look good. Red numerals so I can ride angry!

Has anyone used either of these companies? Likes / dislikes, hate?

As far as looks, the KOSO looks better to me, more modern, not so much like a microwave clock....

KOSO North America

Dakota Digital

Tacocaster

Not familiar with the Koso product lines - but Dakota Digital? Top Notch stuff right there!
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Deye76

Koso look cool, like that they are plug & play.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

NHBagger

I had a couple of Dakota Digital and they worked well, but I really like the idea of the sweep indication on the Koso.I'd be tempted to go that route.

Ohio HD

I also think the KOSO gauges look better. I searched around on the Interweb, couldn't find anything negative about them. The Dakota speedometer has a feature that the KOSO doesn't have, you can adjust the speedometer value for gearing, etc. But I've lived without it long. And I do that in TTS anyway.

Ohio HD

Looks like the Dakota Digital has a sweep option you can setup. That may change my mind as to who I buy from.

calif phil

I have sold and installed quite a few of the Dakota digital sets with nary a problem.  Installed one set of KOSO and had a problem with the speedo signal but it was on an older  2005.  I think they both are good. 

Ohio HD

I sent a PM to you Mr. Phil.

T think the Dakota gauges are looking good to me after I looked through all of their programming options.

Coyote

IIRC, I have heard the there are some issues with the DD gauges when communicating with the ECM for tuning and other things. If I remember correctly, you may have to temporarily disconnect the gauges if this is the case.

Ohio HD

Now that you said that, I vaguely recall hearing that. I may reach out to them now and see what they say.

Ohio HD

HD just called me, I emailed and asked them to see if they had the oil temperature gauge in a black faced instead of the silver. They have it, I said ship that one. It'll go in my other bike that has black gauges.

Ohio HD

Just did a quick search, it would seem the question of flash tune issues and the Dakota gauges may have been related only to PV. And that may be resolved by firmware or software since then. I'm using TTS on this bike so maybe it doesn't exist for that tuner. We'll see.

I just ordered them, MLX-8604-K with black bezels.

Ohio HD

Dang it! Now I have to order a new panted inner fairing!    :emoGroan:     

rigidthumper

You're only a couple grand away from having the perfect bike. (and you always will be...:) )
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rigidthumper

Quote from: Coyote on December 07, 2021, 09:51:26 AMIIRC, I have heard the there are some issues with the DD gauges when communicating with the ECM for tuning and other things. If I remember correctly, you may have to temporarily disconnect the gauges if this is the case.
Some DD speedos would set a -50 error. You could disconnect the speedo, or set the fuel level sender selection to off, but the quick solution was to remove the ACC fuse while programming.

Ohio HD

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 07, 2021, 10:58:06 AMYou're only a couple grand away from having the perfect bike. (and you always will be...:) )

Isn't that the truth?   

Ohio HD

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 07, 2021, 11:03:59 AM
Quote from: Coyote on December 07, 2021, 09:51:26 AMIIRC, I have heard the there are some issues with the DD gauges when communicating with the ECM for tuning and other things. If I remember correctly, you may have to temporarily disconnect the gauges if this is the case.
Some DD speedos would set a -50 error. You could disconnect the speedo, or set the fuel level sender selection to off, but the quick solution was to remove the ACC fuse while programming.

We'll see this summer when it needs tuned. I'll remind you!    :SM:

Ohio HD

Oh yeah, and if the fairing is off, cartridges in the forks, new lower legs, maybe grease the neck bearings.....    might as well change the bars to something a little taller..... 

what does a new bike cost?     :crook:

kd

Brian, I love that you are sharing all of this research with us.  :up:  :up:  I may have to call Phil myself soon.  :smiled:
KD

rigidthumper

New bike has future therapy value, as a base. Current bikes have active therapy value. Bird in the hand...