April 26, 2024, 09:31:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clymer service manuals

Started by Jim Bronson, December 29, 2021, 01:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Are these as good as the HD manuals? They sure are way cheaper.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ohio HD

They only cover some topics well. They're in no way as detailed as HD manuals.

Hossamania

You get what you pay for.
Post a request in the "Want to Buy" section, someone may have one for much less than new.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

They tell you enough to make you wish you never started the job in the first place.

Guys in surgically clean white shop coats telling you "assembly is the reverse of disassembly".
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

JW113

If you're new to the world of HD ownership, they are OK for general maintenance. Think of it as a slightly more detailed version of your owners manual. For anything beyond that, ain't no substitute for TFSM.

Of course, just my humble opinion!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FSG

Quote from: JW113 on December 29, 2021, 03:42:27 PMOf course, just my humble opinion!

and that of many others   :up:    :SM:

Jim Bronson

Well OK then. I guess I'll bite the proverbial bullet. Thanks for helping me decide.

Ohio HD

Watch on ebay, sometimes they show up used at a lower price.

chopper

Get the parts manual, too.  It's every bit as helpful as the shop manuals.  Plus, when you need to get parts, you can look them up yourself, and get the RIGHT ones!
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

JW113

:agree:

Although, you can generally find them on line for free at some of the H-D dealership websites. That said, I have a paper one for every model I own.

-JW

crock

Quote from: chopper on December 29, 2021, 04:54:58 PMGet the parts manual, too.  It's every bit as helpful as the shop manuals.  Plus, when you need to get parts, you can look them up yourself, and get the RIGHT ones!

And the parts book can sometimes help you better understand how things go together better as they have detailed exploded views
Crock

smoserx1

December 30, 2021, 04:22:11 AM #11 Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 11:43:57 AM by smoserx1
If you are already a fairly good do-it-yourselfer the Clymer manuals are OK.  I had two Gold Wings years ago and Clymers are all I used, and I usually got by with Haynes and Chilton Manuals for the cars I owned.  Now my main reference source for anything I need to repair is youtube.  I also used a Motors manual decades ago to learn about air conditioning theory and ended up retrofitting a car with no factory air with parts obtained from a junkyard (that was a 40 hour project...talk about a nightmare), and it worked fine for years.  Now I am certified in refrigerant recovery and recycling.  Anyway, with all mechanical skills you just have to get your hands dirty and do it.... and not be afraid to take something apart.

And I agree 100% about the parts book.  I pretty much could not live without that.  Go ahead and take my FSM away and I will be fine (I'll use a Clymer or none at all).  But keep your hands off my parts book.  That item is a Godsend.

Finally if you really want to increase your mechanical education I recommend getting a copy of the Goodheart-Wilcox Automotive Encyclopedia by Toboldt and Johnson.  I got a copy years ago and read it cover to cover and almost could not put it down except to sleep.  If your mechanical education/ability is weak, that book will change that.  Used editions are available at Amazon (and other places) dirt cheap.

Scooterfish

Get the HD factory service and parts manuals. Comparing the the cost of the 2 manuals to an hour or so of shop labor they will pay for themselves quickly.
Northern Indiana

04rkryder

Don"t forget the Electronics Manual. Godsent when
trouble shooting trouble codes

Jim Bronson

I found a service manual, but I can't find a parts book. Anyone have any ideas?

FSG

Quote from: Jim Bronson on December 30, 2021, 05:17:45 PMAnyone have any ideas?

keep looking ....  epray, FB, etc

in the meantime there's always the Online HD SIP Stuff

as well as the HTT Section

Ohio HD

JW113

Since this is out there in the web-verse for anybody to use, I hope I don't get in Dutch with the admins:

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

-JW

kd

KD

Jim Bronson

Dan89flstc

I don`t think the parts manuals are high priced even from the dealer.

The electrical diagnostics manual is only about 50 bucks.

The service manual is the expensive one.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Ohio HD

That one, 99439-13A runs $68 at the dealership.

kd

The OEM service manuals are well over $100 Canadian up here.
KD