April 25, 2024, 08:38:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2016 Road Glide Ultra Cigarette Lighter fuse location

Started by thirdjld, January 02, 2022, 07:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdjld

A real good friend recently bought a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. It didn't come with an owners manual and I couldn't find one online to download. You had to have the VIN. I can get that if necessary. Anyway, he has heated gear and plugs it into the cigarette lighter. He wants to make sure the fuse is sufficient to carry the current but can't find the location of the fuse. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I connect mine to the battery tender lead and have an extra connector but his bike doesn't have a tender lead. I thought that was kind of weird too. Thanks for your time
John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

Coyote

thirdjld

January 02, 2022, 08:06:54 AM #2 Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 08:35:04 AM by thirdjld Reason: clarification
Thanks, a little more googling and I was able to download the owners manual. It showed where the tender cable is. I recommended to him to run it off the tender cable and change that fuse vice using the P&A fuse.
John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

Hossamania

I run my gear off of my tender plug as well using an adaptor, switched the fuse to 20amp.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: thirdjld on January 02, 2022, 07:23:50 AMA real good friend recently bought a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. It didn't come with an owners manual and I couldn't find one online to download. You had to have the VIN. I can get that if necessary. Anyway, he has heated gear and plugs it into the cigarette lighter. He wants to make sure the fuse is sufficient to carry the current but can't find the location of the fuse. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I connect mine to the battery tender lead and have an extra connector but his bike doesn't have a tender lead. I thought that was kind of weird too. Thanks for your time
John

I suggest getting a Battery Tender Plug and hook it to the Battery and replace his Cigarette Plug on the Gear and use that connected directly to the Battery. I've replaced a lot of Stators because of this.
Tom

kd

:agree:   That's the way to go.  The lead will exit under the seat by the rear crash guard on either side you choose and tuck away nicely when not in use.  Just remember you are plugged in before you dismount because the cord is not in view. 
KD

Coyote

The stator is not going to know the difference where you hook the heated gear load (current draw is current draw). Only thing using the P&A circuit will do is put a heavier load through the P&A relay which might shorten its life.

Having said that, I always hook them to the battery. If you need to have the power turn off when you shut down the bike, I use a 30amp solid state relay (controlled by the accy power). You will want to do this if you use a built in heat controller.

You cannot see attachments on this board.