Wookie3011

Ohio HD

These are the parts I order.

675-086 Dorman
1/4 in.-20 and 1/4 in.-28 Threads, 1.500 in. studs

300-8320 ARP
12-Point, Custom 450, Black Oxide, 1/4 in.-28 Threads

FSG

put a football/basketball air fill needle on the end of an air gun to blow out the residual oil from the holes where the studs are going, you don't want any hydraulic action going on that will cause damage

don't mix up the cam plate bolts with the cam chest cover bolts, a long bolt in the wrong place will dimple the lifter bore and that is guaranteed to ruin your day

FSG

Quote from: FSG on July 06, 2014, 05:30:57 PMI drew this to scale a long time ago to show the thread engagement difference between a normal hole and a dowled hole.

Stud them the first opportunity and never look back.

les

I get my studs at True Value Hardware.  The cost is pocket change.  They are exactly what is posted above.  The 1/4"x20, 1/4"x28, 1.5" long double threaded studs.  The most expensive part is the ARP nuts, which I get from Summit Racing, but still not any amount of money to write home about.

I've got at least 20 sets of these lying around at any time.

One note about leaving the red loctited studs to cure overnight.  Note that after I've snugged my studs in with red loctite, I just continue to march forward and install the cam plate and nuts (with blue loctite) and torque the whole thing down and let the whole thing cure up as an assembly.  In other words, you don't even have to wait for the red loctite to cure before completing the installation because the studs are bottomed out in the bolt holes.

Additionally, there has been discussion in the past about putting studs in all six twin cam cam plate holes.  I don't do this.  Only the two dowel holes.  The other four bolt holes have a complete compliment of thread, therefore the OEM bolts work perfectly fine.

Final note.  For M8 engines, there is one alignment dowel bolt hole for the cam plate.  Don't forget to give this one bolt hole the stud treatment too.

Wookie3011

Excellent Information. I greatly appreciate it.