April 26, 2024, 11:23:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

new starter?

Started by nutsforshovels, November 13, 2008, 05:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuts4shovels

need new starter for 82 FLH  stock low comp.  Alls balls--Hatachi? any recommendations?

cost is important.

Nuts

Lew

If cost is an issue there is no problem with the stock replacement Hitachi starter.  They are plenty strong for a stockish motor.  All Balls starters are twice the price and really not needed unless running something with lots of compression or weird cams.  Hitachi starters are very easy to rebuild with a $40 kit.
Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

nuts4shovels

any idea on cost of the hatachi starter?

nuts

Lew

I see them listed at J&P for $189 and Jireh for $110 and CCI for $186.
Lew

billbuilds

Lewy,
     The new ones in Jireh and J&P's are described as Hitachi "style" starter motors. I heard mentioned that these are Taiwan made and not the same quality as the oem Japanese made models. Any truth to that? Thanks Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Lew

Yes, they are reproductions of the original Hitachi starters.  I've not heard of any issues with them but......
Ebay may be your best bet for an original Hitachi.
Lew

pappyfreebird

November 14, 2008, 04:58:06 AM #6 Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 05:05:01 AM by pappyfreebird
ive used a few 0f them jireh starters..stock motor low on bucks   best deal there is like lew sez 110 black 121 crome n up now due ta gas ..but still free shippin over 100..so black er chrome is to the door..i run one n have one on shelf in box n have put a couple in ihter bikes wid no prolems that ive heard
ps ain no jireh sales mayun ,,but dayum been so long i dont member what but a starter toasted n i called em n was past its 30 er 90 dont member that either...oh i know it were one id had here new in box..n put it on a bike n brutha was back with prolems (after washed it) seamed smoked the armeture..i called n said hey bought last year but dint install blah blah , n they replaced it..made me a real happy boy