April 25, 2024, 09:22:41 PM

News:

Sealing the Stator Plug

Started by JW113, January 23, 2022, 08:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

I've tried just about everything on the stator plug as it exits the primary housing, and sooner or later, it weeps. I'm thinking about giving Hylomar a shot this time around.

Anybody got a weep-proof recipe for the plug?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

fleetmechanic

The rubber on the plug seems to shrink over time due to the heat from the case as well as age.  At some point it may be too hard to try and fill the gaps left by this.

Buglet

You have to make sure it is clean. I use denatured alcohol to clean and Valco silicone works the best. Permatex and lot of others don't work for sealing the plug. If you can get Mercedes Benz or BMW's there silicone work when no other ones work, but it's expensive. Being doing it this way for years with good results.     

nibroc

tbird

I had luck pulling on the wires while applying silicone, when you release it pulls it in.

cpiccarr

RTV Black color used in higher heats. Not sure of number can look up on internet sold in auto parts stores Used on 2 bikes never leaked since.

JW113

I think you're referring to Permatex Ultra Black. They claim it is their oil resistant formulation. This is what I used on the last one I installed, and yes, in time it began to weep around the plug area. Also, when you use an adhesive like RTV on that plug, forget about getting the stator out again without damaging the wires or plug. That is actually why I'm asking about this, as I did have to remove the stator and trashed the plug getting it out of the cases.

Interesting about trying to force some sealant in around the wires, I did not think of that. I'm still considering Hylomar, just for the ability to take the stator out without damage, but not sure if it will seal any better or not. Maybe I'll use Hylomar on the body of the plug, then put a bead of Ultra Black around the outside?

Thanks for the responses!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

calif phil

Hylomar is good stuff, I also like The Right Stuff, it comes in a cheese Whiz style can.
But for stator plugs, I use black silicone.