Gasket Kit and Cam Service Kit contents and questions

Started by crazycalvin, November 13, 2008, 06:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

Hello, I was wondering what is contained in the "Cam Service Kit part number 17045-99A" and what is contained in "Top End Gasket Kit part number 17052-99B" and whether the kits duplicate each other.  Does the combination of these two kits provide everything but head gaskets to do my big bore and cams job? Or would I be better off buying one kit or the other in particular and individual pieces to make up the other kit?  Thanks, Calvin.

JBarrettB

The cam service kit has all you need for the job less new tensioners, cam and crank bolt/retention kit, and the cam gear spacer kit. The only duplication between it and the top end gasket kit is the rocker cover gaskets and the breather items.

JB       
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

fxrp

Calvin,

What year is the bike and what are your plans for the build? You can buy the top end kit and then just buy a few o-rings and the cam cover gasket. Give me some details and I'll give you a list of the small pieces you'll need for the cam chest.

Paul

Scurvy

November 13, 2008, 09:46:27 AM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:48:16 AM by Scurvy
The inner cam bearings in the kit are INA, not Torringtons. I used the kit my first cam job, but it's a lot cheaper to just buy what you need - like in my situation since I bought Andrews cams, those come with the outer bearings. SE adjustables come with new o-rings, and I used the Torrington bearings for inner bearings.

'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

crazycalvin

Thanks to all for the replies.  Paul, my bike is a 2006 EFI Deuce, currently Stage 1 with V&H BSS and cartridge flash.  I am going with SE-203 cams, spare cylinders bored to fit SE cast high compression pistons, and SEST.  I already have clutch spring, cams, pistons, cylinders, cam spacer kit, and will be picking up the SEST this weekend if I get the time.  Thanks, Calvin.

fxrp

Calvin,

All you'll need are inner bearings, a couple of o-rings and a cam cover gasket. I'll email you part numbers tomorrow when I get to the shop.

Paul

crazycalvin

fxrp

Calvin,

I don't think the SE cams come with bearings so you'll need:

8990A         ball bearing                              12.95
8983           roller bearing                            26.95
11286         o-ring                                         .95
11301         o-ring (2)                                   1.90
25244-99A   gasket                                      4.95
11157         o-ring                                         .95 (only if you remove the oil pump)
B-148         Torrington inner cam bearings (2) 12.00

About $50 retail. 

crazycalvin