April 25, 2024, 08:48:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sealing 4-speed transmission studs

Started by dbdevkc, March 29, 2022, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbdevkc

I have seen a few videos where before reassembly of a 4-speed transmission, aviation form-a-gasket was applied to the stud openings inside the tranny to seal them. Would using something like ultra black in there be a bad idea?
KC

Ohio HD

Use 243 Loctite when assembling the studs to the case. Laying a sealant on top of a threaded connection is not the way to go.

dbdevkc

Studs are already in - probably never removed since leaving the factory. Should I be trying removing them and then using 243 when reinstalling? I'd hate to have any break off on me.
KC

Ohio HD

First off, if it wasn't leaking before....  it shouldn't leak now.

It's also unlikely to break a steel stud off in an aluminum case. When in doubt, heat the case. 

dbdevkc

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 29, 2022, 02:22:03 PMFirst off, if it wasn't leaking before....
Now that is funny right there! 
KC

Ohio HD

Quote from: dbdevkc on March 29, 2022, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 29, 2022, 02:22:03 PMFirst off, if it wasn't leaking before....
Now that is funny right there!

So is looking for problems that don't exist.   

dbdevkc

Yeah, I get it, but where wasn't it leaking from. I figured now that it is completely stripped down, now is the time to address any areas of potential seepage.

Which brings up a related question - any sealant needed with new trans oil seals - this kind that has the blue around the edge...
You cannot see attachments on this board.
KC

Ohio HD

HD used a cork gasket from '41 to early '77. Most don't use them. I always used them as it can't hurt to have it in place.

If you don't have a factory manual, I'd get one. They answer 90% of the questions that come up.

35231-36 Cork Gasket

Ohio HD

If you really want to seal the inside of cases, COMPLETLY clean them, no oil no nothing, and coat them with Glyptal 1201.

Glyptal 1201

JW113

I've had a heck of a time sealing those studs. Assuming you mean the four that secure the inner primary. Every time I would take the inner primary off, one or more (usually more) would come out on the nut. I tried Loctite Red, no help. All I could figure was that vintage aluminum was porous enough that it was impregnated with oil, and the Loctite would not take hold. The last thing I tried that seems to be holding up is Permatex #1, the hardening kind. Smeared on both the stud and hole threads, then wiped the excess off from the inside. So far, so good.

Regarding the seal, I use Permatex Motoseal Gasket Maker, which I also use on the engine case flange surfaces. Similar product to Yamabond. I think. Basically some sort of oil/gas proof silicone RTV.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

dbdevkc

I do have the factory service manual. And have a new cork gasket. The seal above (developed after the factory manual produced) used to be included in the Jims rebuild kits as a single sided piece. James makes them now double sided (can't see that in the photo) and has that colored - I guess it is some sort of sealing material on the OD. They are not used in place of the cork, but in addition to. The seal is pressed flush into the case, and the rubber ID of the seal fits tightly around the OD of the spacer.

Re the studs, the studs for the primary are fine. I just think oil is (was) seeping out the studs out the bottom of the transmission.
KC

JSD

Quote from: dbdevkc on March 29, 2022, 01:30:52 PMI have seen a few videos where before reassembly of a 4-speed transmission, aviation form-a-gasket was applied to the stud openings inside the tranny to seal them. Would using something like ultra black in there be a bad idea?
Clean with break clean and then use locktite Wick in ( forget number) on stud from inside trany and it weeps in to seal

72fl

I use the cork, the seal you have a main shaft oring seal like the one pictured and a James SupernutYou cannot see attachments on this board.

dbdevkc

I have James super nut, but the Andrews main drive gear I have has provision for an o-ring, so I'll have the o-ring there instead of on the spacer. And the seal in the end of the final drive gear up against the bushing.

And I have a tube of EZ Turn (left over from a Corvair aircraft engine conversion build) that I'll be using as an o-ring lube anywhere there is contact with fluids.
KC