April 26, 2024, 05:14:08 AM

News:

High Flow Air Filters

Started by FloridaJim5, April 11, 2022, 07:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaJim5

Thanks guys.  I'm becoming more comfortable with the filter based on the comments in this thread. 

I want this engine to last as long as possible since I'm pretty sure it's my forever Harley. 

smoserx1

I put a K&N on my old 99 way back when it had about 80000 miles on it.  Now the bike has 229000.  I did do a top end and made it into a 95 at 179000 and reused the same filter.  Other than the cylinders being worn out from high mileage I saw no obvious signs of damage I would contribute to poor filtration. I know this is not  scientific.  I clean my filter very seldom.  I worked in the air pollution industry my entire career and learned very early that any filter works better with a particulate layer on it. Engineers measure filtration efficiency in microns....that is a millionth of a meter, and 80 microns are roughly the thickness of a human hair.  I cannot imagine sand going through that filter.

FloridaJim5

Quote from: smoserx1 on April 19, 2022, 04:25:19 AMI put a K&N on my old 99 way back when it had about 80000 miles on it.  Now the bike has 229000.  I did do a top end and made it into a 95 at 179000 and reused the same filter.  Other than the cylinders being worn out from high mileage I saw no obvious signs of damage I would contribute to poor filtration. I know this is not  scientific.  I clean my filter very seldom.  I worked in the air pollution industry my entire career and learned very early that any filter works better with a particulate layer on it. Engineers measure filtration efficiency in microns....that is a millionth of a meter, and 80 microns are roughly the thickness of a human hair.  I cannot imagine sand going through that filter.

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your experience. 

Do you know the micron filtration size of the K&N?  What size in microns is a grain of sand?

smoserx1