April 26, 2024, 08:46:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rocker shaft assembly

Started by motorplex88, April 28, 2022, 11:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

Putting some head gaskets in a '78 FLH and decided to disassemble the rocker shafts to inspect. Found them to have the wavy shims and also some little rings that fit inside if the shaft bushings. I have never seen these rings before and my shop manual doesn't show em. Seems to me a feller should stay with flat shims or machine the bushings and/or shafts. Really just curious about the little rings

fbn ent

Get rid of the shims.....one wore out and broke on me an my way through Wyoming while heading to Sturgis. Only way I knew was a piece cut an oring on a pushrod tube. Was in the middle of BF nowhere so kept on going(no cell phones back then). By the time I got to camp I was hearing bad noises. Apparently I didn't get it all out. It was rebuild time by the time I made it the 2 thousand miles or so home..., :emoGroan:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

motorplex88

Yes, I understand that shims are not that great and the wavy shim is even worse. The little ring spacer/shim has me curious.

motorplex88

Seems as though the little ring is part of the wavy washer kit. No matter now. I took all that crap out and made spacers to set up the clearance to 10 thousands. Now I can just worry about other junk coming apart and going through the engine.  :dgust:

xlfan

What kind of steel did you use, and is it necessary to harden them?

You set clearance @ .010"?

motorplex88

I simply used 1 inch cold roll and turned it down. Right or wrong I figured it was hard enough. Yes, I set all 4 shaft clearances to .010 by counter boring the spacer.