May 03, 2024, 03:06:24 PM

News:

better mpg- what could I do ?

Started by someday69, November 13, 2008, 08:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

someday69

I got my 02fxd,,95" --short block charlie/scottsman heads=(decked bigger valves),,,,flat-top pistons,,,S&S 510g cams..daytona twin tech igition....
                             I guess I would have to find some stock heads and jugs..and change the cams too...
       I run the CV40...although I do have a Mik 42 still in the box..but that might be not such a good idea...;and Ive got a super trap two into one,still in its box...I want to put on the 2/1 ..but the Mik will not change my mpg for the better...and I like the cv40...its been work'in fine..for almost 60,000miles....

This is just something I have always been think'in about...I can't really afford to do it..all at once,,but I could be look'in for parts......I only get 37mpg on a good day...but then I ride hard and fast when I get the chance....
                                        maybe I should slow down.....someday...

HDDOC

The Mik 42 can give some good milage with a few minor changes, 98 needle set in the middle groove, #20 slow jet, I like the 22.5 slow jet and a 160Main jet, this may be lean on your set up, but will need to be checked! Plug Chops. The 2 into 1 should also help and is tuneable. Go easy on the throttle and you will save fuel and increase your milage. Or trade for an EVO.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

FLTRI

Someday,
My suggestion is to find a good tuner in your area and get it tuned for best economy (1/4-1/2throttle @ 14.2-14.5:1 & 3/4-WOT @ 13.5-14.0:1).

I can tell you most all carbed bikes I have tuned come in at least 1 jet size too big, and sometimes 3-4 sizes over what is best.
After you see the tuner you will at least know what you have and how mush increase in mileage is available with just a proper tune.

Simply guessing and/or making wholesale changes without knowing what the best your build can do first, is a wait of time and money IMO.

hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

someday69

Well I had my 02fxd tuned by ken at black hills coustums,,in rockaway nj.   Im sure he did what he thought was best,and made a custom map...but I will save up for another run on a dyno somewhere after I put the super trap on,,(I'm think'in 10-12 disks with the open end-cap,,I've heard people say to put on alot more with the open end cap..but I also remember an old thread on that subject yrs ago...so I'll go with the 12 and open end cap...then save up for a run on a dyno...someday...

Faast Ed

The weakness of going for a tune for the sole purpose of better mileage, is that it will take a while to realize any savings because of the cost of tune.

However, I am an advocate of having the best tune possible, the ridability improvements justify it.

On my EFI bikes it is easy enough for me to touch-up myself (as far as the mileage area is concerned). No clue on how to do that with a carbed model.
≡Faast Ed>

automotivebreath

Tuning for mileage is very different from tuning for power. The key is to have the tune ability
to have both. Enough fuel for good power when it's needed (richer than 14.7:1) and lean it
beyond 14.7:1 for steady state cruse (avoid detonation and lean burn misfire); only use the
rich setting when absolutely needed and avoid raping the throttle (zero MPG).

Other areas to look are idle AFR and fuel enrichment circuits.

cody

Faast Ed
What areas (throttle/RPM position) would you touch up and how much on a Power Commander map for better fuel mileage.

hd06myway

If HDs 96" EPA leaned motor from the factory is rated at 53mi hiway - 34 city, I'd say your getting pretty much what you can expect from a 95" non EPA setup.  Don't think your going to ge tthe avg. between say 53 and 37, not in everyday riding, which is going to be closer to the city avg. vs the hiway.  Everyone I know who has gone to a big bore has dropped avg. mi. per gallon.  Bigger motors use more fuel, that's a scientific fact, period.  I'd be happy with the 37 avg. your getting.  Unless your on the interstae for long extended periods, it's not going to get much better than that, tune or no tune.

Faast Ed

QuoteFaast Ed
What areas (throttle/RPM position) would you touch up and how much on a Power Commander map for better fuel mileage. 

Cody,

It has been a few years since I had that bike, I don't want to give you bad info. I marked off my Throttle grip and noted the position while I was in my prefered cruise range (which might differ from yours).  IF I recall correctly the throt position averaged between 1 and 1.5, but I don't recall what the rpm areas were.

ON my particular map (which again might differ from yours) I ended up around 4 or 5 percent less fuel in thosse areas.  I found the closest cells for that number and cut half the amount from the surrounding cells.

You really got to get out there and play with it.  I had marked my grip in ten increments, but all the cruising was surprisingly low on the grip position.

Hope this helps (likely not much). LOL
≡Faast Ed>

cody

Thanks Faast Ed, I'll mark my throttle grip and I have a tach so I'll be able to see where I'm cruising at.
When you say you dropped the cell by 5 percent do you mean , for example, if there is a 20 in a cell you change it to a 15 ? 

Faast Ed

November 16, 2008, 03:50:51 PM #10 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:52:53 PM by Faast Ed
Yes, but yours might require less. Every map is different as is every build. Mine worked well with that change.

You will likely notice if you take away too much (performance difference one example). I'd go baby steps if I were you and only go 2 or 3 at a time.
≡Faast Ed>