April 26, 2024, 09:10:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Check engine light stays on

Started by fleetmechanic, June 02, 2022, 01:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

I just replaced a 4 year old battery on a 2011 FLHTP.  Starts and runs fine, but the check engine light stays on.  Did a WOW test and no codes showed anywhere.
Should I use the old Scanalyzer to see if there are any historic codes?  This one does not have ABS brakes. 43,500 mi.

Coyote

What exactly does the check engine light do when you turn on the ignition. Watch it closely at turn on and report.

fleetmechanic

When Ignition switch is turned on, the light comes on and then goes off briefly once and then stays on even after the bike is running.

Coyote

Then you have active codes set that can be read via the speedometer.

fleetmechanic

I did check for codes in the speedo and there were none in any category.  I'll look again.

Coyote

fleetmechanic

I thought the "P" setting was just part no. info but I checked and pulled 5 codes.  I'll get to work.

fleetmechanic

The only one that won't clear is PO113 relating to the IAT and TMAP sensor area.  I've seen broken wires at the TMAP sockets before so I'll look for that.

Coyote

I've seen them break up where the wire goes into the backbone. The harness was a little short I think.

fleetmechanic

And the wires are thin.  I've this on at least two of our other 2011-12s.

fleetmechanic

I unplugged the MAP sensor plug and all four wires and sockets were intact, bur a voltage check from the ECM showed no voltage.  I will check the continuity of each wire to the ECM harness plug and I will check the TCA plug for fretting corrosion.
But all the test sequences end with "replace ECM" as the last step. How common is ECM failure in these bikes from the preteen years?

Coyote

Never seen a bad ecm. Already told you where I'd be looking. 

fleetmechanic

I'll remove the tank and check there next.

fleetmechanic

All wires up to and along the frame seemed fine.  Went back to the TMAP plug and The ground wire broke at the terminal with very little pull.
Added heavier gauge wire to the ground and the green wire and replaced the sockets and seals and no more codes showing.

kd

KD

Norton Commando

Quote from: fleetmechanic on June 10, 2022, 08:44:26 AMAll wires up to and along the frame seemed fine.  Went back to the TMAP plug and The ground wire broke at the terminal with very little pull.
Added heavier gauge wire to the ground and the green wire and replaced the sockets and seals and no more codes showing.

Thank you for the feedback!

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.