April 26, 2024, 02:45:41 PM

News:

rear axle

Started by roadkingdresser, June 06, 2022, 04:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

June 06, 2022, 04:10:43 PM Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 06:54:59 PM by FSG
Was at the H-D shop a week ago and ordered a new right side cam for my axle 2010 r-king. Got it and slid it on the axle. Same movement as the old one with 43000 mi. Found a rear out of a 2020  street glide wrecked in the front with 3200 mi. Bought it at a reasonable price,same movement as the one in the bike now except it has bigger cams. So why can't harley make an axle to adjust the rear wheel straight. Where on the frame do you measure the rear axle to get it as close to straight as possible?
roadkingdresser

Coyote

If the axial is moving, you need to tighten it. I've never had any issues with the cam axial moving after tightened. I do use the clamp that keeps it from moving, while it's being tightened.

roadkingdresser

It's not so much that it's moving, it's when I adjust the left side and hold it and when I tighten the right side the cam plate moves some.So the cam moves away from the stopping edge on the swing arm.
roadkingdresser

fleetmechanic

Lots of "3rd hand tools"  on the intertube.   Even better and quieter than a live assistant.

Ohio HD

Quote from: fleetmechanic on June 06, 2022, 08:01:21 PMLots of "3rd hand tools"  on the intertube.  Even better and quieter than a live assistant.

You bet!    :teeth:

Coyote

Paint them neon...   :hyst:

jamminhd2000

Quote from: roadkingdresser on June 06, 2022, 05:06:22 PMIt's not so much that it's moving, it's when I adjust the left side and hold it and when I tighten the right side the cam plate moves some.So the cam moves away from the stopping edge on the swing arm.

Try cleaning plate and put a little bit of grease under nut before torqueing it down....jimmy

roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

chaos901

One of these. (Just a glutton for punishment)
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Oclaf

How about just buying an aftermarket axle that meets one's personal specifications? What gets old is people buying these machines and then acting as if they didn't know that there's plenty of 'minimal engineering' in regard to a lot of parts and pieces...plenty of aftermarket accessories that remedy all known bitches...ALL...so deal with it, fix it, and ride it. Peace!

roadkingdresser

I've been buying these machines for years and i've seen the $ saving by H-D scrimping on parts that don't do the job. But they're not afraid to make you pay more for it every year.I do fix my own stuff and i do ride it! Peace to you!
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

All brands have their shortcomings. Do a little search for problems with BMWs, also a premium brand, they have their issues as well, some more severe and prevalent than HD.
We ride HDs because we like them, we deal with the problems, and we keep riding.
If left stock and unmolested, they are mostly pretty trustworthy. Maintenance is certainly simpler than most other brands.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Oclaf

Quote from: Hossamania on June 08, 2022, 05:09:47 AMAll brands have their shortcomings. Do a little search for problems with BMWs, also a premium brand, they have their issues as well, some more severe and prevalent than HD.
We ride HDs because we like them, we deal with the problems, and we keep riding.
If left stock and unmolested, they are mostly pretty trustworthy. Maintenance is certainly simpler than most other brands.

well said...the parts may be cheap in the opinion of some but they work, maintenance is easy, and if you dont like what they come with, there are so many FN options, its crazy what you can do and what you see sometimes. Ride on!