April 26, 2024, 03:40:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1998 Ultra

Started by dirt1954, June 13, 2022, 01:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt1954

I have a chance to buy a 1998 Ultra Classic with fuel injection. What are the weak spots or good spots? Parts availability? Electronic problems? I know shovels, early evos, and carb twin cams. Wife does not trust her knees to ride her own anymore, and I have never owned an evo.

Hossamania

June 13, 2022, 02:07:13 PM #1 Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 02:11:54 PM by Hossamania
Nothing wrong with a good Evo, a reliable, simple motor, but a carbed motor would be my choice over the early EFI. New parts are not available for the efi, or very hard to find, and finding knowledgeable people to work on that system is also difficult.
Someone may chime in here and say no problem with them, and if so, they can shed more light on the subject, but I tend to shy away from them.
A lot of people do carb conversions on them, it is a rather involved process, though not terribly difficult. There are some threads on this site that list the parts and process.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

:agree: T-Max makes a replacement ECM for the MM systems. I haven't heard anything bad about them.... :nix:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta