April 26, 2024, 07:10:53 PM

News:

BrisK silver core spark plugs ?

Started by itsafatboy, June 19, 2022, 05:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

OK yes bored still raining here,

here is my question one thinking of trying the brisk silver core plugs that has the 360 degree multi fire they also have the single strap silver ones , i use a thunder max so don't care about ion sensing at all, i use copper champion now, but the silver is a even better conductor, my thought is i want best burn i can get for the wide band o2 sensors maybe im wrong,  next is since its a twincam fatboy no stereo why do i need the resistor type plug , seems a non resistor plug would even give you a stronger spark.

so if im way off let me know , i currently just run the champion copper RA8HC i think that's the stock part ones , on a 11.1 comp 116" efi fatboy, runs great just was thinking about this .   

Brisk has been making plugs for a long time so its not a quick HP thing i just want the best spark , i also use tayler thunder volt wires 50hms resistance 

smoserx1

Conductivity silver = 100, copper = 97, gold = 76.  No I'm not an electrical person but I kind of doubt at the high voltages of a coil does it really matter much.  Anyway, conductivity is the reciprocal of resistance, so yes copper is slightly more than silver but I guarantee you it is nothing compared to the resistance of that spark plug gap, especially at combustion pressure and temperature. So my guess is your your gains will be insignificant and indiscernible, but who knows?

turboprop

Quote from: itsafatboy on June 19, 2022, 05:17:05 PMOK yes bored still raining here,

here is my question one thinking of trying the brisk silver core plugs that has the 360 degree multi fire they also have the single strap silver ones , i use a thunder max so don't care about ion sensing at all, i use copper champion now, but the silver is a even better conductor, my thought is i want best burn i can get for the wide band o2 sensors maybe im wrong,  next is since its a twincam fatboy no stereo why do i need the resistor type plug , seems a non resistor plug would even give you a stronger spark.

so if im way off let me know , i currently just run the champion copper RA8HC i think that's the stock part ones , on a 11.1 comp 116" efi fatboy, runs great just was thinking about this .   

Brisk has been making plugs for a long time so its not a quick HP thing i just want the best spark , i also use tayler thunder volt wires 50hms resistance 

Do you think your application requires a stronger spark or that the current spark strength is somehow limiting the performance of your engine?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 20, 2022, 03:55:34 AMConductivity silver = 100, copper = 97, gold = 76.  No I'm not an electrical person but I kind of doubt at the high voltages of a coil does it really matter much.  Anyway, conductivity is the reciprocal of resistance, so yes copper is slightly more than silver but I guarantee you it is nothing compared to the resistance of that spark plug gap, especially at combustion pressure and temperature. So my guess is your your gains will be insignificant and indiscernible, but who knows?

They would also wear out much sooner as they transferred material across the gap between the lugs.
KD

rigidthumper

Remember E=I*R? E= voltage, I = current, and R = resistance.  Spark is a function of math- if the coil has less resistance, it will have higher current flow. A standard 5Ω coil, in a 12 volt system, will draw 2.4 amps of current. If the charging system is working properly, when the bike is running, it's a 14.4 V system, with a 5Ω coil, drawing 2.88 amps.
A 3Ω coil in the same bike will draw 4.8 amps. A 1.5Ω racing coil will draw 9.6 amps.  Top fuel bikes use the spark plugs like welding rods, using heavy wiring and low resistance coils. That high current and low resistance produces a fatter spark, greater heat, shorter life, but they have a mix that doesn't want to burn, it wants to explode.
All that is required is an adequate kernel of spark to ignite a proper fuel mixture. Sometimes, better is the enemy of good...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

MSD (multi spark discharge) did thorough testing with all spark plugs on their system, including platinum, multi strap, special v-cut electrodes, etc., and found the best plugs for their system was the good old fashioned cheap Autolite plugs.
Just food for thought.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

itsafatboy

So sounds like ill stay with copper i currently run,  so on the resister and non resister plugs is there any bennifit of non resister plug in a bike that has no stereo or ion sensing or is it not worth the trouble ,   

rigidthumper

No benefit from running non-resistor plugs/wires.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

boooby1744

I ran Denso Iridium IXU-22 on my carbed 95" tc. Started and idled better than stock,about the same on the road.

60Gunner

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 20, 2022, 10:57:33 AMNo benefit from running non-resistor plugs/wires.

The same for low resistance wires I imagine. I normally run the Taylor/Sumax Pro because of the added insulation and positive lock. Just so happens they're low resistance. 350ohms per foot
But recently I came across some that have a mere 40 ohms per foot that claim a 2-8hp increase that of course got my attention. But now that I think about it, that's probably not with the stock coil either. In race applications maybe?
But a popular builder heare claims to consistently get a couple ponies gapping the plugs tighter. .035.
Anyone explain that?

kd

Quote from: 60Gunner on June 23, 2022, 08:00:37 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on June 20, 2022, 10:57:33 AMNo benefit from running non-resistor plugs/wires.

The same for low resistance wires I imagine. I normally run the Taylor/Sumax Pro because of the added insulation and positive lock. Just so happens they're low resistance. 350ohms per foot
But recently I came across some that have a mere 40 ohms per foot that claim a 2-8hp increase that of course got my attention. But now that I think about it, that's probably not with the stock coil either. In race applications maybe?
But a popular builder hear claims to consistently get a couple ponies gapping the plugs tighter. .035.
Anyone explain that?

With the closer gap you get a longer duration spark period.  It's work to continue arcing is easier.  It is easier to light it up and it collapses later with the closer gap. I used to run .022 AC 45's in my high compression stroked shovel but that was in the 70's and dyno's were few anywhere and non existent where I live.
KD