Primary chain alignment with compensator eliminator

Started by Crawler, June 23, 2022, 06:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawler

June 23, 2022, 06:15:52 PM Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:59:49 PM by Crawler
So after my compensator nut problems I decided to go with an evolution engineering compensator eliminater and an 84 tooth ring gear. When I tore the bike apart I noticed there was not a spacer between the rotor and the compensator. Now when I put the eliminator on and I go to align the primary chain it's flush with the gasket edge of the inner primary at the clutch side but at the compensator it's 3/32 or 0.093 gap. The manual is saying that it should be not greater than 0.030. The crazy part it that I happened to have a 3/32 shim and when I installed it it seemed to bind the primary chain and not allow a good tension on the chain. I've measured 100 times and keep getting the same numbers. Should I run it or buy a thinner shim? The bikes an 02 softail standard. I should mention that I didn't have the clutch or eliminator fully torqued I just had them cinched down hand ratchet tight.

60Gunner

I would torque it down with the shim you have if that's the number you've come up with. Or were they not torqued when you took it?
FWIW, I run the 30 tooth from Evolution Industries and the same washer I had behind the compensator is behind the sprocket but I'm not sure what's changed if you had nothing there in the first place.

Crawler

60Gunner
I didn't have the bolts torqued to spec just down tight and a an extra bump of the fist on the wrench. I'm pretty meticulous with tearing stuff down and keeping parts together. I didn't see any shim. Heck I just pulled the rotor off to see if it had a shim between it and the stator and it had nothing. I didn't know if this was common for 02 or did the previous owner not put the shims in if they had it apart.