May 03, 2024, 08:41:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

REMOVING ROTORS

Started by PETE-NAM68, November 13, 2008, 11:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETE-NAM68

Is there anything special to removing & replacing rotors other than using new bolts. I am replacing both fronts on an 05 FLHTCI.
I never had a problem in years past but have heard that lately they can really be a bear & easily strip out the bolt heads.
           Thanks, Pete

ULTRADOG

heat the bolts first never an issue after that :duel:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Upswept

The bolt heads will only strip if you use a Chinese torx bit.  Use a Snap-On, Mac, or Craftsman (not Sears), and you won't have any problems.  Stay out of Harbor Freight.

Mike52

Pete, I've found that it can take 3 things to break loose the rotor bolts, 2 of those have already been mentioned above, heat from small propane torch and a top quality Torx socket . The 3rd is to use one of the Lisle hand held impact drivers, the type that you hit with a hammer.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Impact-Driver-Bits/dp/B0002NYDRG

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

PETE-NAM68

Thank you all for the great information. I have all of the above tools. I just haven't done much work lately on newer bikes & didn't want to screw up.
                                             Pete

randyredneck

As others have said, use a good set of Torx bits. I used a good set of Crafts man and still ruined the torx bit and had to get a new one. I didn't use heat, but they were tough (probably should have heated them up though).

Also, if you're upgrading to the HD floaters be aware.....it will look strange to you. When I first did it I noticed that the inside radius of the roaters didn't cover the wheel hub and would allow water to seep in. Well, the directions call for a spacer/cover for the Softail Deuce but not any others...I thought that was strange and it concerned me cause I didn't know how the water would escape and not cause wobble due to off balance. Well, the touring cast spokes have small holes in the end of the spokes that allow the water to escape...so, no problem! Not sure what you ride...just a heads up.

Good luck
Randy

Jazzhog

I did mine and I used an commercial heat gun. The reason you have to use heat is because of the thread lock. I learned that the hard way. One time I had to clock the hub on a  PM wheel to line up the belt pulley. I screwed up the hub before I was told to use a heat gun. The heat gun is great cuz on an aluminum wheel the heat travels pretty quick to soften the thread lock, and ya don't have an open flame. It makes the disassembly much easier.  :up: