April 27, 2024, 10:52:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

inner primary problem

Started by nutsforshovels, November 13, 2008, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuts4shovels

replacing my starter in 82 FLH. the starter drive shaft hole in the primary is egg shaped. As bendix is engaged the shaft drops and drive does not always engage clutch basket correctly.  looking for best method --drill and bush primary or other methods not involving replacement or primary.

gotta keep these things goin

Nuts

verson22

Are you talking about the outer primary where the end of the shaft is supported? It should have a bearing in there.

Lew

November 13, 2008, 01:36:08 PM #2 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 01:44:27 PM by lewy1313
Outer or inner?  Belt drive secondary or chain drive?  If you are referring to the outer primary cover....as 22 stated there is a bushing that is intended to support the end of the shaft and keep it in alignment.
Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

nuts4shovels

NO inner primary--cam shaped hole. shaft wobbles and starter gear does not always fit the ring gear.

nuts4shovels

Lew

November 13, 2008, 01:52:44 PM #5 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:34:38 PM by lewy1313
AH HA!  There is a difference.  I believe there may be a problem with the starter cover bearing.  This is the housing the starter bolts up to.  If that bearing is shot it would allow the rear of the starter shaft to be out of alignment, wobble, rub, and would also put the drive gear, the shaft gear and the starter gear teeth out of alignment......all bad.  The only thing not bad....is the out of round hole in the inner primary.  It's not really a problem as it's only function is to be a hole for the starter shaft to go through. 
Lew

76shuvlinoff

Don't know the 82 but does this have the same stamped steel oil blocking plate with an O ring in it as my 76? Unless I'm all confused (quite possible) if that's what's bent out of shape it's easy to replace.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

nuts4shovels

Great news Lew1313--I'll check in the morning

Nuts

Lew

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on November 13, 2008, 03:06:39 PM
Don't know the 82 but does this have the same stamped steel oil blocking plate with an O ring in it as my 76? Unless I'm all confused (quite possible) if that's what's bent out of shape it's easy to replace.

Mark, this is a different animal.  Two different setups...one for the old style chain drive and one for the rear belt models.
Lew

76shuvlinoff

...so I'm older than ol'skool?

....Yeah I gotta keep reminding myself they ain't all the same and I need to zip it.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Lew

November 13, 2008, 04:13:27 PM #10 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:39:21 PM by lewy1313
Nary a problem bro.  That's my specialty....open mouth insert feet....that's me.
:embarrassed:
Never forget....old is a relative term.... :wink: 
Lew

nuts4shovels

Just to clear the air about the primary hole--I believe the problem was caused by the solenoid yoke to the bendix. It was bent, wider than it should be

allowing poor control over actuation. Secondly, the solenoid was shot limiting the throw.  Thirdly,,new starter motor--hitachi type--more power. 

Have not installed primary yet but fell good about it.

cost: $174
results: Priceless

Nuts