April 26, 2024, 02:50:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2008 flhx

Started by alstar2, September 11, 2022, 08:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alstar2

piecing together a 2008 flhx.that was my first mistake.the wiring appears to be from an international
model.it has connectors for active exhaust & jiffy stand switch.i am thinking that this does not come on
the usa models.does anyone know if this bike will start with these disconnected?yes i don't seem to be
getting smarter with age.why did harley make this one year bike?    :scratch:

Tacocaster

We found this harness physically exists on 2010 Domestic Touring models (and likely earlier). A friend had a cut-out/stumble-like issue and while trouble shooting, we discovered the connector on the end of that harness had a "stub" HD installed. Not sure if there is an actual electrical "loop" provided by that stub, however.

Just looked up the schematic(s) on the 08 Domestic Touring. It's there.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

alstar2

thanks tacocaster.i have the books saw stub but like you say, does it have a loop.i am
almost finished with it.just have to see what happens when i fire it up.it was in a fire
so it has a different frame so hd says they won't look at it when i'am finished  Al

Tacocaster

Just found this in the 2008 Electrical Diagnostics Manual on Page 4-9 and from the schematic on Page 4-172:

"When the Jiffy Stand is retracted, voltage on the Jiffy Stand Sensor terminal "56" (of the ECM) should be approximately 1.65 to 2.47 volts. When the Jiffy Stand is extended, the voltage on terminal "56" should be approximately 2.94 to 4.41 volts."

Gives the impression that "stub" is in fact doing something. Installing an appropriate Resistor between Pins 1 & 2 to reduce the ECM's provided 5v sensor voltage down to 1.65 to 2.47 volts for terminal 56 of the ECM would make your boat float.

The diagrams indicate 5v Sensor Power is found on Pin 1 (BN/O) of the Jiffy Stand Sensor connector while Pin 2 (GN/BN) is the Sensor "reporting " lead. The third pin (BK/GN) is a Ground from the ECM provided to the actual sensor. 

alstar2

tacocaster.i don't have the electrical book.for the jiffy stand,sounds like i can put a dropping
resistor on pin 1 to 2.what about this active exhaust connector.what effect will this have on the system
if not connected.i am still waiting for more parts before i give it the smoke test.

Tacocaster

Yes, a voltage divider network will work. A bench model to test before you make it pretty. Lots of information on how on the WWW.

The Active Exhaust is different, I think. Looks like it's not required because the solenoid is only "driven" by the ECM when required - not at start-up. If it won't start, look for related DTC's like Active Exhaust Open. Shared use of the Eng. Control fuse.