April 26, 2024, 05:36:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tappet travel limiter question

Started by Tarheel Bagger, September 13, 2022, 12:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheel Bagger

I am looking for advice from those with more knowledge than I. Just finished a build on my CVO 110 and put Larrys 2313SEL tappets in. I adjusted the pushrods by bottoming out the plunger and backed off 1 flat. I noticed at this adjustment that when pressing down with my finger on the rockers, that they had approximately .018 to .020 of vertical movement (clearance) before contacting the pushrod.

Put it back together and ran it. Not bad at all, but still a slight tick that would come and go. The rocker clearance kept bugging me, so I readjusted the pushrods to the point where after tightening the jam nut, there was no rocker clearance, but I could still spin the pushrods with two fingers.

Way better now. It's the quietest this bike has ever been, even when it was bone stock.  My question is, do I have them too tight adjusted this way? It's pretty much zero lash. I've got way too much time and money in this build to let a little tick make me do something stupid, but I love the quiet. What do you guys think? Leave as is or go back in and give them more clearance just to be safe.

TB

Ohio HD

You may be ok, but I would prefer to adjust them with one or at most two flats from zero lash. They should run as quiet as without the limiters. You gain some lash as the motor warms up anyway, it won't stay at zero lash.

kd

September 13, 2022, 05:52:47 PM #2 Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:56:47 PM by kd
I will add, take your time when finding the bottom.  After you feel you have it on bottom, let it sit for as much as an hour to be sure it has bled down. If it is still too tight to turn you know you are there.  Back it off till it will spin and reseat it.  Readjust it back off the one or two flats like Ohio said and you are there.  As he pointed out, as the engine gets hot the heads and barrels grow enough to add a bit of clearance.  Too tight will keep the valve off the seat and bleed off compression when cold making it hard to start so the one or two flats is required.
KD

Tarheel Bagger

Thanks guys!  That's kind of what I thought I should do.  I've come too far to mess it up now. I'll go back in tomorrow and get them right.  Then off to Tman for a tune on the 26th.

TB

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 13, 2022, 01:09:01 PMone or at most two flats from zero lash.

I back the off a 'hair' but what Ohio says is very common

kd

Quote from: FSG on September 13, 2022, 07:11:27 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 13, 2022, 01:09:01 PMone or at most two flats from zero lash.

I back the off a 'hair' but what Ohio says is very common

Yeah, I tend to do the hair thing too. (about 1/2 flat if that)  I don't know anyone that has complained about one or 2 flats either.  :wink:
KD