April 26, 2024, 07:38:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

replace turn signal bulbs with led

Started by bobrk1, September 14, 2022, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

a friend  wants  to  change  out  the  regular  bulbs  for  led  bulbs on his  turn  signals  , will  he need to  install  a  resistor  for  them  to  blink?

Hossamania

What year and model bike? If older, it may require a load equalizer to make them flash.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JSD

Hossamania

I believe if it is not a canbus bike (2014 for touring?), it will need a load equalizer.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hattitude

Quote from: JSD on September 14, 2022, 06:21:46 PMI fitted to a 09 they flash faster

Hoss is right

LEDs use less power than incandescent bulbs...

Your signals are flashing faster (hyperflash) because the system is reading lower than expected draw from your signals. The system thinks you have a bulb out. The hyperflash is a signal designed to alert you that you have a bulb out.

If you install a load equalizer between the connectors for main harness and the rear signals harness (usually under the seat), the hyperflash will stop, and go back to normal.

If you had a newer CanBus bike, you would just need to put the 4-way flashers on for about 1-2 minutes and it would correct itself.

Hope that helps...

Excalibur

For olds*cool bike you can get an electronic flasher-can that does either incandescent or LED bulbs. I bought last week. So far so good.

bobrk1

sorry  forgot  to  mention  2022 heritage 

hattitude

Quote from: bobrk1 on September 15, 2022, 07:06:56 AMsorry  forgot  to  mention  2022 heritage 

I have no experience with the M8 bikes, and I understand the '21 or '22 ECM is totally different.... but..

The CanBus/BCM twin cam bikes had a synch procedure you would do, after installing alL the LED lights..

JSD

Quote from: bobrk1 on September 15, 2022, 07:06:56 AMsorry  forgot  to  mention  2022 heritage 
Post bike info at the start makes helping a bit easyr