April 25, 2024, 11:32:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2014 Switchback security system issues

Started by HogMike, September 15, 2022, 06:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogMike

Got a friend with the intermittent loss of communication between the key fob and the bike. Bike won't start, lights flash. Bike will start with pin code used.

Recent new bike battery
Spare key fob tried
New fob batteries in both fobs
New BCM antenna

What are we missing??

TIA for any ideas.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

Ha e you tried moving the bike to a different spot about 20 feet away? Sometimes there is interference from some device nearby.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HogMike

Quote from: Hossamania on September 15, 2022, 08:03:39 AMHa e you tried moving the bike to a different spot about 20 feet away? Sometimes there is interference from some device nearby.

Thanks for the quick response!
We thought about that but it seems random either in the city or backcountry.
No real common denominator.
There are no codes popping up.

I had a similar issue with the BCM antenna reception on my own 2019 bike that I traced back to RF interference from bad spark plug wire.
Since his bike is NOT running it isn't that, but I'm leaning on some sort of reception interference preventing fob from connecting with the BCM.

I'm not to familiar with Harley electronics, and hate to see him drop it off to a dealer for an intermittent issue.

I'm at a loss at this point. :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HogMike

One other question related to this issue: is it possible to completely disable the key fob/security system on this bike, and just start and run the bike without PIN numbers? Old school!

:nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

rigidthumper

Yes, if you have access to a Centurian or DTT Twin Scan 4.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HogMike

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 16, 2022, 06:50:34 AMYes, if you have access to a Centurian or DTT Twin Scan 4.

Thanks, I'll let him know that's an option.
 :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal