April 26, 2024, 05:01:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Battery status

Started by Oclaf, September 26, 2022, 06:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oclaf

Took another ride Saturday, couple hundred, bike ran fine. It's been on tender since and it won't go into maintenance mode, just keeps "charging". Checked it this morning but still in charge mode. I disconnected it, turned on power, bike lights up like normal. Didn't start as I ain't riding anywhere and don't like doing that. I am thinking maybe the battery is going south? Any thoughts?

Hossamania

What is the voltage reading of the battery?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

Connect a DVM and carefully watch the display while you start it. Try to catch the lowest reading. That will indirectly tell you how much current your battery can supply during starting. IIRC it should read no lower than 11 V.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Hossamania

And running voltage will tell you if the charging system is working properly.
I noticed that my bike took way too long to reach full charge on the Tender after a ride, checked and found the stator had crapped out, battery was fine.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Oclaf

Quote from: Hossamania on September 27, 2022, 04:57:40 AMAnd running voltage will tell you if the charging system is working properly.
I noticed that my bike took way too long to reach full charge on the Tender after a ride, checked and found the stator had crapped out, battery was fine.
Great, hopefully it's just the battery, 2020 RGS, Arizona, i do ride it, 28.5k and clicking...could be the tender. In the middle of moving and need a day or two to get out there and snoop. It's still stupid hot and humid here. No sooner i load out and roll will the temperature drop, hopefully get out there later, as i am riding it so on return, do some quick troubleshooting, unless i get stuck. LOL  :unsure:

hrdtail78

September 27, 2022, 11:05:02 AM #5 Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:38:00 AM by rigidthumper
A .9 amp tender don't do much on these new bikes.  They seem to maintain but not charge a low battery.  Alarms, radio memory, other electronics.......  I recommend at least a 3.5 amp with maintenance option.  I like the NoCo brand.
Semper Fi

fbn ent

Quote from: hrdtail78 on September 27, 2022, 11:05:02 AMA .9 volt tender don't do much on these new bikes.  They seem to maintain but not charge a low battery.  Alarms, radio memory, other electronics.......  I recommend at least a 3.5 amp with maintenance option.  I like the NoCo brand.

Makes sense. I use both depending on the circumstances.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

hrdtail78

Obviously, it's amps and not volts.  I mistyped but since it was quoted. 
Semper Fi

fbn ent

Read right by it. Brain saw amps.  :emoGroan:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta