News:

TMan 625 In A 124?

Started by WhipLash96, October 25, 2022, 10:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Thanks,
Whip

hrdtail78

Might have it's place in a high tq low rpm 124.
Semper Fi

les

After talking to Terry (T-Man), he agreed with my plan to use his 660 PS cams.  This was on a 2011 Road King.  The compression was 10.8 static.  Terry said it would be a torque monster.  The dyno run got 148.6 torque.  Great running engine, and the guy who bought it (ran it hard) sheared the teeth off of third gear of a Baker Grudge Box.

WhipLash96

Quote from: les on October 26, 2022, 02:31:07 PMAfter talking to Terry (T-Man), he agreed with my plan to use his 660 PS cams.  This was on a 2011 Road King.  The compression was 10.8 static.  Terry said it would be a torque monster.  The dyno run got 148.6 torque.  Great running engine, and the guy who bought it (ran it hard) sheared the teeth off of third gear of a Baker Grudge Box.
What was the head set up? I'm making 140 ft lbs with a way smaller cam than the 660.. I like the cam that I have if I'm living on the Interstate.
Thanks,
Whip

les

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 27, 2022, 03:40:44 AM
Quote from: les on October 26, 2022, 02:31:07 PMAfter talking to Terry (T-Man), he agreed with my plan to use his 660 PS cams.  This was on a 2011 Road King.  The compression was 10.8 static.  Terry said it would be a torque monster.  The dyno run got 148.6 torque.  Great running engine, and the guy who bought it (ran it hard) sheared the teeth off of third gear of a Baker Grudge Box.
What was the head set up? I'm making 140 ft lbs with a way smaller cam than the 660.. I like the cam that I have if I'm living on the Interstate.

T-Man did the heads.

2.000" intake valves
1.610" exhaust valves
Twin Cam Pro-Touring Elite head porting

I also got T-Man's external breathers option in the heads and the .090" lightened steel piston wrist pins.

The flywheels were S&S 6SF3 4-5/8" stroke 3-piece (7.659" rods).

HPI 62mm throttle body, 6.2 grams/sec injectors, and their V2 air cleaner.

WhipLash96

I'm running SE 110 heads with stock valve sizes but nicely ported. 4.125 bore with 4.625 stroke pistons are .001 and .003 proud. Using a .040 head gasket and S&S 5mm TB
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

The 660 is my original choice but others are trying to talk me out of it. Sent a PM, would love to talk to you more about the 660.
Thanks,
Whip

60Gunner

Ok, I will say it...
What are you thinking whip? :scratch:  :nix: In a 124 yet besides? 590s with your heads. 662-2 with Tman heads.
As for the 660, this is what happens with too much exhaust duration and the wrong pipe as I alluded to in another thread.
Now this is a 107 with the 660 but set up right as a stage 5 by Randy at Hyperformance. The Rush Wrath is the pipe.

kd

60Gunner, You said it but how is it relevant.  Comparing a 660 lift cam in a 107 to a 124?  The OP's choice of a 660PS (or SM) in a big block is a proven all around killer cam set with excellent street manners in that size engine.  Tom Reiser has discussed it with him and confirmed it's attributes.  How about pulling up a dyno sheet with a big block instead?  I don't mean one of 10 with mismatched components like exhaust or throttle body etc..     
KD

60Gunner

Quote from: kd on October 20, 2023, 07:02:50 AM60Gunner, You said it but how is it relevant.  Comparing a 660 lift cam in a 107 to a 124?  The OP's choice of a 660PS (or SM) in a big block is a proven all around killer cam set with excellent street manners in that size engine.  Tom Reiser has discussed it with him and confirmed it's attributes.  How about pulling up a dyno sheet with a big block instead?  I don't mean one of 10 with mismatched components like exhaust or throttle body etc..     

That's what I mean. Mismatched exhaust. Whip knows what I mean. The 660 will work great with the right throttle body and exhaust and heads/valve sizes.
I'm just concerned with him over exhausting with it with the perforated baffle in his D&D for one.
10° isn't a huge amount of added exhaust duration, but a little more than the 4 to 6 of most Tman cams. and he does have a smaller exhaust valve,1.610,in relation to his 2.08 intake so it will probably be fine. He can always change to a louvered baffle easy enough if need be.
Being a 124 does help I agree.
I know he's got it narrowed down to 2 cams, but probably going with Tman setting up his virgin heads.
He'll be fine either way, tho I know Terry is pushing the 662-2 as well.
My comparison was more to show what overexhausting can do.

m1marty

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 20, 2023, 08:40:56 AM
Quote from: kd on October 20, 2023, 07:02:50 AM60Gunner, You said it but how is it relevant.  Comparing a 660 lift cam in a 107 to a 124?  The OP's choice of a 660PS (or SM) in a big block is a proven all around killer cam set with excellent street manners in that size engine.  Tom Reiser has discussed it with him and confirmed it's attributes.  How about pulling up a dyno sheet with a big block instead?  I don't mean one of 10 with mismatched components like exhaust or throttle body etc..     

That's what I mean. Mismatched exhaust. Whip knows what I mean. The 660 will work great with the right throttle body and exhaust and heads/valve sizes.
I'm just concerned with him over exhausting with it with the perforated baffle in his D&D for one.
10° isn't a huge amount of added exhaust duration, but a little more than the 4 to 6 of most Tman cams. and he does have a smaller exhaust valve,1.610,in relation to his 2.08 intake so it will probably be fine. He can always change to a louvered baffle easy enough if need be.
I know he's got it narrowed down to 2 cams, but probably going with Tman setting up his virgin heads.

Have you found the 660 to be easy or difficult to tune? Tried it with different exhausts? Curious as to what exhaust you found to work well with a set up like that.
OFFO

60Gunner

October 20, 2023, 09:19:38 AM #11 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 10:16:38 AM by 60Gunner
Quote from: m1marty on October 20, 2023, 08:53:37 AM

Have you found the 660 to be easy or difficult to tune? Tried it with different exhausts? Curious as to what exhaust you found to work well with a set up like that.

I haven't tuned any. I'm not a tuner. I just know what others have found with overexhausting and sluggish low end throttle response. I stay away from cams with too much exhaust duration or run them with 212 systems with smaller cans or louvered baffles.
Is that the case here with his setup? I don't know. It IS a concern worth considering tho.
I'm pretty sure my tuner here agrees about the exhaust duration but I'm not speaking for him. He already posted his thoughts.
Like I said, his relatively smaller exhaust valves  in his current heads will help tho. Be interesting to see how Tman sets up his virgin heads should he go that route. Maybe why Tman is pushing the 662-2?
Does he stay with the 58mm throttle body then? Or go 62? Or a 58/62?
I'm thinking the 58/62.
It's not a huge amount of added exhaust duration but enough to consider when choosing other components.
Remember, he doesn't want to lose hp but gain low end.

Add...the 625 is a stump puller. Especially in a 124. No way no how would I run that cam here. It has it's place but not in a 124.

Quote from: les on October 27, 2022, 09:01:14 AM

T-Man did the heads.

2.000" intake valves
1.610" exhaust valves

I also got T-Man's external breathers option in the heads and the .090" lightened steel piston wrist pins.

Well this sort of answers how Tman would set up the heads.
So maybe his current heads would be just fine too. Maybe better with his 2.08 intake? Normally by the time you hit 2.0 intake you're thinking 1.630 exhaust.
Just a matter of the right pipe or baffles in his D&D? 

WhipLash96

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 20, 2023, 09:19:38 AM

I haven't tuned any. I'm not a tuner. I just know what others have found with overexhausting and sluggish low end throttle response. I stay away from cams with too much exhaust duration or run them with 212 systems with smaller cans or louvered baffles.
Is that the case here with his setup? I don't know. It IS a concern worth considering tho.
I'm pretty sure my tuner here agrees about the exhaust duration but I'm not speaking for him. He already posted his thoughts.
Like I said, his relatively smaller exhaust valves  in his current heads will help tho. Be interesting to see how Tman sets up his virgin heads should he go that route. Maybe why Tman is pushing the 662-2?
I'm thinking the 58/62.
It's not a huge amount of added exhaust duration but enough to consider when choosing other components.

Add...the 625 is a stump puller. Especially in a 124. No way no how would I run that cam here. It has it's place but not in a 124.

T-Man did the heads.

2.000" intake valves
1.610" exhaust valves

So maybe his current heads would be just fine too. Maybe better with his 2.08 intake? Normally by the time you hit 2.0 intake you're thinking 1.630 exhaust.

Gunner, remember I said that my OL was pretty long along with the LSA (Current Cam)? That 660 would be a lot of fun. :chop:  I think I'm going to look further into that 58/62 Tb too.
Thanks,
Whip

m1marty

I'm thinking the 58/62.

T-Man did the heads.

2.000" intake valves
1.610" exhaust valves

Ahh, I thought you did the tuning. If not tuning, do you build stuff and then have a shop tune it for you?
OFFO

60Gunner

October 20, 2023, 04:47:38 PM #14 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 04:52:23 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: m1marty on October 20, 2023, 04:27:02 PM

I'm thinking the 58/62.

T-Man did the heads.

2.000" intake valves
1.610" exhaust valves

Ahh, I thought you did the tuning. If not tuning, do you build stuff and then have a shop tune it for you?

Yes. Or the owner has it tuned and let's me know how it did. If doing that I will generally break it in on the street with a good base map tho to be sure it gets "broke in right".  :wink:
I'll have it broke in in 30 miles on the street.

I've tuned them the hard way with a number of different tuners. I've got the software for the good SEPST, TTS, and PV.  And the Race Ignition tuner for carbed bikes as well as DTTs.  But I always recommend they put it on a dyno.

October 20, 2023, 05:01:39 PM #15 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 05:03:22 PM by FSG
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 27, 2022, 07:00:26 PMI'm running SE 110 heads with stock valve sizes but nicely ported. 4.125 bore with 4.625 stroke pistons are .001 and .003 proud. Using a .040 head gasket and S&S 5mm TB

What did your head porter recommended based on where you want your power delivered with their heads? I've had this conundrum before, re-used ported heads on a new setup. Called the head porter, told them my supporting parts and where I wanted the power... took the guessing out!

WhipLash96

Quote from: 838 on October 20, 2023, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 27, 2022, 07:00:26 PMI'm running SE 110 heads with stock valve sizes but nicely ported. 4.125 bore with 4.625 stroke pistons are .001 and .003 proud. Using a .040 head gasket and S&S 5mm TB

What did your head porter recommended based on where you want your power delivered with their heads? I've had this conundrum before, re-used ported heads on a new setup. Called the head porter, told them my supporting parts and where I wanted the power... took the guessing out!
My heads were ported by a very good friend of mine for free. There was (is) no need to do anything else to the heads as they have big a$$ intake valves and way more than enough spring in stock configuration to handle that cam that I am currently using.  Different story for when that changes.
Thanks,
Whip

60Gunner

October 20, 2023, 05:53:48 PM #17 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 06:07:38 PM by 60Gunner

QuoteGunner, remember I said that my OL was pretty long along with the LSA (Current Cam)? That 660 would be a lot of fun. :chop:  I think I'm going to look further into that 58/62 Tb too.

Yeah, I think you'll be good. Maybe a baffle change in your pipe. Might be fine as is.

I think the 590 would be higher torque than hp. 140/150. They're 130/130 all day long in a 110. You're 14 cu.in. bigger. And a stroker at that.
The 660 a little closer to square. The 662-2 more square or a little more hp than torque.
Tbh, with the right supporting hardware, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them.
Even a crap cam set up right in a 124 will have plenty of grunt.

I'm a believer in the Max Flows. I think the 58/62 with any of them.  Match the runners with your ports.

October 20, 2023, 06:03:27 PM #18 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 06:32:12 PM by 838
Based on this post and your other post about a New setup it looks like you're looking to be in the power around 2750rpm so that your feeling loaded and ready for roll on passing when cruising at 70-75mph on the interstate and you want that roll on to pick up real fast like... your not bangin' the limiter only but once in a while on a back road...

Go with the 590!!! Torque for days, easy on the rest of the components and will still carry out far enough to pucker your keister when you need the rush!

I know where you're at with getting back on the bike too... I ride this same way now as well. It took time brother!!!

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,109007.msg1304409.html#msg1304409

Getting your 2-1 dialed in would probably flatten that curve out where this one's still doing a little climbing between 2700-3k... that fullsac pipe was a big x-pipe... I don't even think he makes it anymore... great mufflers helped give it what it has!

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 20, 2023, 05:53:48 PM
QuoteGunner, remember I said that my OL was pretty long along with the LSA (Current Cam)? That 660 would be a lot of fun. :chop:  I think I'm going to look further into that 58/62 Tb too.

Yeah, I think you'll be good. Maybe a baffle change in your pipe. Might be fine as is.

I think the 590 would be higher torque than hp. 140/150. They're 130/130 all day long in a 110. You're 14 cu.in. bigger. And a stroker at that.
The 660 a little closer to square. The 662-2 more square or a little more hp than torque.
Tbh, with the right supporting hardware, I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them.
Even a crap cam set up right in a 124 will have plenty of grunt.

I'm a believer in the Max Flows. I think the 58/62 with any of them.

FYI I believe Jamie Long still makes a supertrapp style muffler, that fits the zilla, with a tunable disc setup...

60Gunner

Would you mind sharing the paper? I'd Like to see the curve. What exhaust?

kd

Quote from: 60Gunner on October 20, 2023, 08:06:22 PM

Following along here I am seeing what I believe is some confusion about the TMan 660 cams.  I didn't see where Tom Reiser (TMan) was pushing the OP to go 662-2 over the 660.  (who is Terry?) In fact it appears he suggested the opposite to the OP.  BTW, Tom Reiser has stated openly that he designed the 660 to be the 590's big brother.

I am using a 660SM in my 120.  I didn't tune it but I was in the booth every second it was on the drum.  The tuner, a highly capable individual, has tuned many similar combinations with this cam and said it was not a complicated tuning job (at least for him). To be clear, my MVA heads were dialed in specifically for the 660 from a recipe he developed with the tuner I was with.  The exhaust valves are larger  and the exhaust ports were reworked.  The 2 pipes it was tuned with over the same session were 2.55" and 3.0" baffles. (so much for over exhausting)  The HPI 62/64 TB w/ 6.2 injectors increased the 1.8 runner volume enough to smooth out the intake pulse.  It produces street and parking lot manners like (or better) than the 103 I replaced and is a quiet engine.  This engine has destroyed / stripped 3rd gear out of 2 OEM transmissions and the GrudgeBox is now coming out to go in on a warranty repair.  No shortage of power anywhere.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?action=dlattach;ts=1542728950;topic=99409.0;attach=81713
KD

60Gunner

October 20, 2023, 09:45:12 PM #22 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 10:05:38 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: kd on October 20, 2023, 09:14:10 PM
Quote from: 60Gunner on October 20, 2023, 08:06:22 PM

Following along here I am seeing what I believe is some confusion about the TMan 660 cams.  I didn't see where Tom Reiser (TMan) was pushing the OP to go 662-2 over the 660.  (who is Terry?) In fact it appears he suggested the opposite to the OP.  BTW, Tom Reiser has stated openly that he designed the 660 to be the 590's big brother.

I am using a 660SM in my 120.  I didn't tune it but I was in the booth every second it was on the drum.  The tuner, a highly capable individual, has tuned many similar combinations with this cam and said it was not a complicated tuning job (at least for him). To be clear, my MVA heads were dialed in specifically for the 660 from a recipe he developed with the tuner I was with.  The exhaust valves are larger  and the exhaust ports were reworked.  The 2 pipes it was tuned with over the same session were 2.55" and 3.0" baffles. (so much for over exhausting)  The HPI 62/64 TB w/ 6.2 injectors increased the 1.8 runner volume enough to smooth out the intake pulse.  It produces street and parking lot manners like (or better) than the 103 I replaced and is a quiet engine.  This engine has destroyed / stripped 3rd gear out of 2 OEM transmissions and the GrudgeBox is now coming out to go in on a warranty repair.  No shortage of power anywhere.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?action=dlattach;ts=1542728950;topic=99409.0;attach=81713

So what size are the valves in these heads, intake and exhaust, and why the added 6° exhaust than the 590s? What's done on the intake side makes a difference and what's done on the exhaust side makes a difference and I get why dual pattern cams exist. The 62/64 TB  makes a difference too.
I'd still like to see the torque curve.

Hilly13

I bet you can hear that coming down the road KD 😁
Just because its said don't make it so

98fxstc

Quote from: Hilly13 on October 20, 2023, 09:58:50 PMI bet you can hear that coming down the road KD 😁

I think he posted a short video clip on here just after he got it back on the road.
Don't think it would be hijacking the thread if he put it up again   :teeth: