April 27, 2024, 02:17:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE Extreme Heads real world spring breakage experience

Started by He@vyMet@l#1, October 29, 2022, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

He@vyMet@l#1

October 29, 2022, 03:56:27 PM Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 04:30:56 PM by He@vyMet@l#1
By (real world) I mean first hand experience, not "I read about it" or "someone said." In other words it actually happened to you, or a friend, and you saw the results, or you're an independent wrench that has repaired such a failure.

FYI, I picked up a pair of these "new" that have a MFG date of May 2022 on the box, and I also have a CR512 cam. If I use them with my current 130 BBK my compression will be +/- 11:3.1 depending on the final deck height of my pistons.   

My local HD service advisor told me that they've installed several hundred of these heads with cams that don't exceed .540 lift, and have not had one fail yet... However, it seems that I'm the "guy" it'll happen to even if it's the first ever recorded failure!     

RTMike

I know the original CNC ported SE heads have had a lot of stage 4 failures not shore on the extremes,but for the price I would change the springs with adaquit  after market springs from Star Racing or Cycle Rama,while your at it change the compensator ramp also.

He@vyMet@l#1

I also asked the service advisors that I called about comp ramp failures, and they all reported failures even in completely stock configurations. So replacing it with an aftermarket unit is good advice.