April 27, 2024, 05:21:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New cam, put stock catted head pipe back on?

Started by Propflux01, November 09, 2022, 04:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

In the process of replacing my stock 114 cam with Cyclerama 480. Got to overthinking again, and wondered about the exhaust. Currently, I have a decatted stock headpipe, v&H hi output 4.5 slip ones, neutered with DB reducers. Now comes the overthinking: I have read from numerous sources that the stock cat flows well enough that actually removing it doesn't result in much, if any real improvement. since the exhaust duration of this 480 cam is quite a bit, at 250*, and that also means more sound as a result. I'm wondering if putting my catted headpipe back on, in hopes that it reduces the extra noise created, would be a good idea, or not matter? If I did do it, how much of a hit, if any, in performance would I notice? Suggestions?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

kd

All Wes at CycleRama and speak to him.  You'll get the straight goods with an explanation.
KD

Propflux01

Well, I doubt I would get ahold of him with this hurricane and all. But I will try tomorrow.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

03wglide

I agree with reusing the stock decatted header. Came to the same conclusion after reading numerous reports that unless you are bumping up in displacement, the stock header is more than sufficient. That what I did when switching to a S&S 475, using their 4" Grand Nationals w/decibel inserts installed on my '18 Road Glide Special. Runs great and no downside.