April 27, 2024, 07:14:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock or upgraded oil pump 2011 performance build

Started by twincam8888, November 21, 2022, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twincam8888

I'm rebuilding my buddies 2011 Street Glide. it's going to be a 107", S&S 585 cams, Hillside Stage 3 heads. new lifters, adjustable push rods, larger
 injectors, 55 or 62 mm induction manifold, upgraded clutch etc. He rides it hard. Bike has 55,000 miles. I'll be checking crank run out tomorrow. My question is: Upon disassembly the cam plate and oil pump are the nicest used ones I have ever seen with almost no wear. I would be inclined to reuse them but he likes to spend money (LOL) Should we consider an oil pump/cam plate upgrade? If so what do you suggest.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Ohio HD

November 21, 2022, 08:48:59 PM #1 Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 07:44:04 AM by rigidthumper
Well, if money is not an issue, I'd upgrade the plate and pump. I've used several S&S plates and pumps and never had any negative experiences with them. A good feature of the S&S plate is you can adjust the pressure relief spring if need be for a little more oil pressure.

That OEM crank and the factory rods with 55,000 miles are the biggest concern in my opinion. It's like building a factory on top of a house of cards. I'd send the crank to Darkhorse and let them go through it, balance, true, weld, and either rebuild the rods or their competition rods. If that crank shifts and lets go later due to more HP and torque, it'll be an expensive day.

twincam8888

Thanks, I agree about the flywheels, I'll be talking to him.
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

pauly

+1 for the s&s pump, cam plate, & tensioners. They are a work of art and have several advantages over the stock items. Whether those advantages are needed is debatable, but if your buddy wants the best, he'll be looking at it.

Thanks
Pauly

JSD

In OZ we have no darkhorse so S&S is our go to.