April 27, 2024, 11:46:42 PM

News:

Boring 17" B Cases For 124

Started by WhipLash96, November 25, 2022, 07:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

I know that boring these cases for a 4.125" or more bore will leave it pretty thin for the center bolt. I was told that there is a "special center bolt" that is offered that somehow makes this concern go away. What is so special about it?

Also, since this is a 17" case and not having the Timken, will having the Timken conversion done to this case be as strong as if it came stock for the Timken?
Thanks,
Whip

SP33DY

S&S and Zippers include a special center bolt in their 124 packages. S&S uses a bolt that is turned down in the middle, and is not removable once the cylinders are installed. Zippers uses a thinner bolt that is supported on either end by bushings in the case. It can be removed after the cylinders are installed. I haven't had any problems with either one.
If you are sourcing cylinders from another vendor other than S&S or Zippers you will have to turn down a bolt or use a thinner bolt and make bushings.

Don D

Harley has a screw, PT#1090a, that works when the center is cut down for jug clearance. It incorporates an oring under the head and allows the case not to be drilled on the opposite side.

WhipLash96

Quote from: SP33DY on November 25, 2022, 08:52:29 AMS&S and Zippers include a special center bolt in their 124 packages. S&S uses a bolt that is turned down in the middle, and is not removable once the cylinders are installed. Zippers uses a thinner bolt that is supported on either end by bushings in the case. It can be removed after the cylinders are installed. I haven't had any problems with either one.
If you are sourcing cylinders from another vendor other than S&S or Zippers you will have to turn down a bolt or use a thinner bolt and make bushings.
This bolt can't be purchased seperately?
Thanks,
Whip

JSD

Baxter in GA has em. And on his U tube shows how it works.

SP33DY

Quote from: WhipLash96 on November 25, 2022, 01:08:40 PM
Quote from: SP33DY on November 25, 2022, 08:52:29 AMS&S and Zippers include a special center bolt in their 124 packages. S&S uses a bolt that is turned down in the middle, and is not removable once the cylinders are installed. Zippers uses a thinner bolt that is supported on either end by bushings in the case. It can be removed after the cylinders are installed. I haven't had any problems with either one.
This bolt can't be purchased seperately?

I never tried to buy one. I suppose they sell them. It only takes a few minutes to make one, so I made my own when I had to.