April 28, 2024, 10:49:46 AM

News:

R&R Cycles M8 Cuff Bolt Drill Fixture

Started by Ohio HD, December 08, 2022, 01:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I see that R&R Cycles has made a set of M8 cuff bolt drill fixtures. I'm actually surprised someone hasn't made a fixture(s) before now.

One thing I'm not sure of as I can't see the other side of the fixtures, does it center with the lifter bores in the case. I would hope it did, you can get some shifting around on the case using only the lifter cover threaded holes. Maybe its not necessary. 

les

Thank you for posting this new tool!

Ohio HD

I'd call tomorrow if you want to order. I bet they get a lot of calls for these. They just released the tool info about an hour or so ago.

Hossamania

I got one already! R&R's is a little nicer....

You cannot see attachments on this board.
You cannot see attachments on this board.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Hoss, your not the first HTT member that dreamed up a solution to a Harley problem before it showed up in production.  :nix:
KD

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

les

I hate your guts, Ohio.  Because you know my severe addiction ALL too well!   :smilep:

Hmmm...now where's my credit card?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

Quote from: les on December 09, 2022, 07:42:36 AMI hate your guts, Ohio.  Because you know my severe addiction ALL too well!   :smilep:

I just easily can recognize a fellow ToolOholic.    :SM:

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 09, 2022, 09:06:44 AM
Quote from: les on December 09, 2022, 07:42:36 AMI hate your guts, Ohio.  Because you know my severe addiction ALL too well!   :smilep:

I just easily can recognize a fellow ToolOholic.    :SM:

Go back to Hoss's broken cuff bolt thread from a while back.  He describes how he made his.  Now that you're retired you can sueeze it in eh?
KD

Ohio HD

Quote from: kd on December 09, 2022, 02:42:36 PMGo back to Hoss's broken cuff bolt thread from a while back.  He describes how he made his.  Now that you're retired you can sueeze it in eh?

I'd make a 3D model of them if I had them in front of me.

I don't have an M8, so I'm free from my addiction to tools on this one.   

Coff 06

December 09, 2022, 04:03:20 PM #12 Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 04:06:39 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 09, 2022, 03:23:19 PMI'd make a 3D model of them if I had them in front of me.

YET.................    :hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:      Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Ohio HD

Quote from: Coff 06 on December 09, 2022, 04:03:20 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 09, 2022, 03:23:19 PMI'd make a 3D model of them if I had them in front of me.

Well yeah, there's that....    :smilep:

kd

December 09, 2022, 04:24:12 PM #14 Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 08:31:56 PM by kd
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 09, 2022, 04:07:24 PM
Quote from: Coff 06 on December 09, 2022, 04:03:20 PM

Well yeah, there's that....    :smilep:

:agree:  Well you best not be hangin around the M8 board too much.  :hyst:  :hyst:
KD

les

Problem solved.  Sent the link to the wife and reminded her Christmas is just a couple weeks away.

les

Ohio, the bottom side is completely flat.

Ohio HD

December 17, 2022, 11:55:52 AM #17 Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 12:02:26 PM by Ohio HD
Thanks Les, I appreciate it. 

How do they look overall, nicely machined I imagine. 

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 17, 2022, 11:55:52 AMThanks Les, I appreciate it. 

How do they look overall, nicely machined I imagine. 

Yes, the tool has the quality of the typical JIMS tool.  The supplied drill bit fits good in hole with very little play.  IMO, it will need lubrication during use.  The bit is the size of the main body of the 1/4" bolt and looks like it only leaves the threads behind.  They tell you to then use a tap to clean out the threads.

After having done this once freehanded, the tool looks like it will make the procedure a lot easier.

les

One more thing.  When using the tool, there can be none of the broken bolt standing proud of the surface.  Otherwise, the tool won't set flat against the casing.  I'm assuming that if there is any bolt sticking out, I'll have to grind it off first.  Of course, if a lot is sticking out then might not be using the tool to extract.

FranBunnyFFXII

The fact that this exists: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23899905-tap-it-right-billet-tappet-cuff-kit-m8.html

https://www.ofperformance.com/product-page/tap-it-right

I would just skip trying to remove a broken bolt at all.
Infact I like this design so much more than the S&S tappet cuffs in the sheer fact that these are 4 point stabilized instead of one bolt that you have to get torqued down with a feeler gauge spacing it.

This is such a great idea if you break a tappet cuff bolt. Oh well, install these over, get the bike back on the road. Return the S&S ones for a refund.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

JSD

les

Quote from: FranBunnyFFXII on February 01, 2023, 07:31:59 PMThe fact that this exists: https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-23899905-tap-it-right-billet-tappet-cuff-kit-m8.html

https://www.ofperformance.com/product-page/tap-it-right

I would just skip trying to remove a broken bolt at all.
Infact I like this design so much more than the S&S tappet cuffs in the sheer fact that these are 4 point stabilized instead of one bolt that you have to get torqued down with a feeler gauge spacing it.

This is such a great idea if you break a tappet cuff bolt. Oh well, install these over, get the bike back on the road. Return the S&S ones for a refund.

Thanks for posting this and the education.