April 27, 2024, 02:01:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

More Questions

Started by Nick9900, December 27, 2022, 10:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick9900

So im to the assembly phase of the motor, bottom end was completed by Truett and Osborn. I need to torque the cylinders and heads, I have seen the manual going to 65 ftlbs for the head, but haven't found a number for the cylinder base. I want to be sure the right numbers, im more leery with the this older aluminum and dont want to pull studs and such. I appreciate all the response in other questions and it has really helped keep me on the right track

nmainehunter

I've been looking and find nothing in Palmer's or both of my panhead service manuals. However I've seen 35-40 Ftlbs mentioned. Keeping them all the same is ideal.

Snuff™

A little late to the show, but it might help someone else.  I've reviewed through a few manuals and only found 32-40 ft/lbs in my Shovelhead manual.  It's been 13-14 years since I built my Pan but I would say I used ~35/36 ft/lbs.  What is important is check them and the head bolts after a few heat cycles!

When installing the cylinders/heads/manifold in one sitting, leaving the cylinder nuts and heads bolts a little loose will help with manifold alignment.

-Snuff :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!