April 27, 2024, 01:02:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel Pump Factory stuff?

Started by fbn ent, January 07, 2023, 11:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

January 07, 2023, 11:14:39 AM Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 02:25:00 PM by fbn ent
Going to swap out my many miled fuel pump this Winter. I see the Fuel Pump Factory parts mentioned on here earlier. Any negative / positive feedback from those that have used them? Any other aftermarket pumps recommended?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Tacocaster

Replaced my OEM a couple years back with the FP Factory's product. It was noisy (annoying whine) from the get-go so I warrantied it. They were great with Customer Service. Second one was good for just over 2 years when it failed completely. They were yet again, "great about it" and even though far beyond their stated warranty period they stepped-up once again. Needless to say I was really impressed with their Customer Service!

Their product is now advertised on their website as having japanese internals (versus what...Chinese??) so I've got my fingers crossed but it does show they recognized a problem and worked to improve the situation. I say give 'em a chance to prove themselves, they're good people.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

fbn ent

January 07, 2023, 02:53:41 PM #2 Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:07:37 PM by fbn ent
Well, that doesn't turn my crank much. That's all I need...a pump that doesn't last a season. My '02 has 175K miles on the stock one. Dealer says they are no longer available. :dgust:

FXDBI

Quote from: fbn ent on January 07, 2023, 02:53:41 PMWell, that doesn't turn my crank much. That's all I need...a pump that doesn't last a season. My '02 has 175K miles on the stock one. Dealer says they are no longer available. :dgust:

Nothing from the dealer that interchanges? E-Bay shows them has fitting 2002-2007?   Bob

smoserx1

QuoteDealer says they are no longer available.

Ronnie's is showing part number 62897-01B for 278.49.  My understanding was if a part was no longer available the price shows 0.00.  I would try at least calling them and see.  Google the PN, there are many aftermarket versions but I believe I would go with an OEM if possible.  It does not seem you hear many reports of this item failing.

calif phil

In November, had 2000 Road King with 2000 miles brought in with a no start condition.  Fuel pump and sending unit gummed up pretty bad.  Dealer said the whole assembly was on backorder till march.  Go ahead and order one please.
Called last week and said it's discontinued.   I've not had the best luck with aftermarket fuel pumps and it sucks that it's our only choice now. Been using the all ball's brand lately.  I'm guessing they all come from the same place. 

hrdtail78

Aeromotive 11540 fits.  It is advertised as a 340 flow pump but in our application.  It is closer to a 300 lph.  This is my go-to replacement for bad pumps or for applications that need more fuel flow.  They are E85 compatible.
Semper Fi

fbn ent

January 08, 2023, 01:33:50 PM #7 Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 04:22:27 PM by fbn ent
Picked a 27K mile unit up on E-Bay. Fingers crossed. Comes with the fuel level sender which can't be worse than mine. New regulator and filter on hand. Hope it's golden!

78, I will keep the Aeromotive information on file. It sounds like a candidate for sure. Thanks!

nibroc

blown alcohol

I was thinking about picking up a low mileage 2002 RK if I can get decent price. No matter the mileage every part on that bike is 21 yrs old.
But now seeing I will not be able to get some critical OEM parts I will probably hold off

Did they change the fuel pump in 2003? If not, what is the earliest model you can buy an OEM replacement fuel pump?

My friend has an 03 ultra so I'm guessing no OEM fuel pump is available.
I'll have him call around to local dealers
2013 CVO Ultra

fbn ent

January 19, 2023, 08:18:24 AM #10 Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:38:02 AM by fbn ent
IIRC, '07 is the same. No pump available from the factory now. There is a good replacement listed above somewhere. I have a spare criuise module and a few other pieces but still need a speedo and an ignition switch. It is a problem for those that don't want to buy another HD for sure. This has me thinking about carburation....

blown alcohol

I just called 2 local dealers. Zero in stock but both dealers said part was on back order until March. Said they can not guarantee part will come in but it does not show obsolete on their end

This is a shame as they are a lot of low Mileage bikes

Maybe the aeromotive 11540 will be a solid replacement pump
2013 CVO Ultra

fbn ent

Quote from: fbn ent on January 08, 2023, 01:33:50 PMPicked a 27K mile unit up on E-Bay. Fingers crossed. Comes with the fuel level sender which can't be worse than mine. New regulator and filter on hand. Hope it's golden!

78, I will keep the Aeromotive information on file. It sounds like a candidate for sure. Thanks!

Well, my deal on an OEM pump went South. It was an aftermarket one. Sent me a refund right away and still waiting for  information on the return. Time to check out Aeromotive...

itsafatboy

Not the pump but if in there horse power inc has a upgraded pressure regulater , at 62psi ,  i just crushed the stock one a bit to raise pressure, but this was back in 03 and still working, i would change all the hoses also 

fbn ent

Quote from: itsafatboy on February 13, 2023, 11:26:57 AMNot the pump but if in there horse power inc has a upgraded pressure regulater , at 62psi ,  i just crushed the stock one a bit to raise pressure, but this was back in 03 and still working, i would change all the hoses also 

I'll check that regulator out. New hoses on hand already. Thanks

fbn ent

That number doesn't show up on Ronnies site... :nix:

blown alcohol

look up 2006 road king classic
its there
75127-06
FUEL PUMP, W/ 2, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21
2013 CVO Ultra

fbn ent

You are correct.  :embarrassed: I see it on the other '06 models but with an "A". suffix. First year it shows on the microphish. I wonder what the difference is from the earlier models?

PoorUB

It probably doesn't help, but I wonder if the stock HD pump matches anything else, like an automobile?

When I got my Yamaha R1 it had a bad fuel pump. Yamaha wanted almost $500 for one. I am cheap, and I had time so I scoured the internet and found someone that said a fuel pump for a Honda S2000 fit. I figured I had nothing to loose and ran over to the local auto parts store. They had one in stock. I had the Yamaha pump in my hand so we took it out of the box. As far as I could tell it was and exact replacement, fuel line connection, even the disconnect for the electrical was the same. Best part $75! I installed it and the bike ran fine. I ran it for 3-4 years, beat the hell out of the bike and sold it with that pump in it.

So what its the chance??
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

You can't go just by looks of the pump. HD uses a 4 bar pump. You have to see that the replacement is rated the same. Otherwise the fuel injection won't operate correctly.

fbn ent

I got the Aeromotive unit. Still haven't opened it...I trust hardtail78 knows his  :turd:

Ohio HD

March 17, 2023, 07:47:47 PM #21 Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:53:58 PM by Ohio HD
You mean the pressure? I have no doubt that hardtail78 does, and have no doubt the pump he recommended is of sufficing pressure.

There's a pressure regulator in the tank. But there has to be enough pressure from the pump to let the regulator function as it should.

I was referring to just rummaging through boxes of automotive pumps for a visual match.

Ohio HD

I procrastinated long enough when you started your search for a pump. I just ordered a 62908-08 that fits my 2008 and 2009 bikes. I have a complete used spare that came out of the 2008 with nothing wrong with it. I put a new unit in it's place four years ago with the new 124 motor. So I should be covered for awhile I hope.

tdrglide

Has anyone tried Quantum Fuel Systems pumps? If I can't get OEM. Helped a friend put one in a 02 dyna a while back but he sold the bike 6mos later. Hasn't heard anything back. It worked fine.

120k and 20yrs on the 03 RG. I need to replace the sending unit anyways. Thinking ahead

blown alcohol

not sure what changed in 06 about the whole inside tank assembly, but that part on ebay has the same factory fuel pump 62897-01B
I did not look at all the part's but it's probably same pump, filter, regulator 02-07
Maybe it is just an electrical connect that is different.
2013 CVO Ultra

fbn ent

Quote from: tdrglide on March 17, 2023, 09:52:07 PMHas anyone tried Quantum Fuel Systems pumps? If I can't get OEM. Helped a friend put one in a 02 dyna a while back but he sold the bike 6mos later. Hasn't heard anything back. It worked fine.

120k and 20yrs on the 03 RG. I need to replace the sending unit anyways. Thinking ahead

I don't know but I want a pump that will last the duration. I am in the same boat with the '02 RG. Gathering stuff that is unavailable. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't EFI.

blown alcohol

Quote from: fbn ent on March 18, 2023, 07:19:06 AM
Quote from: tdrglide on March 17, 2023, 09:52:07 PMHas anyone tried Quantum Fuel Systems pumps? If I can't get OEM. Helped a friend put one in a 02 dyna a while back but he sold the bike 6mos later. Hasn't heard anything back. It worked fine.

I don't know but I want a pump that will last the duration. I am in the same boat with the '02 RG. Gathering stuff that is unavailable. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't EFI.

The assembly that I posted from ebay has the same 62897-01B fuel pump included. This looks to be a complete drop in assembly. Also in that assembly the filter kit and regulator parts #'s are the same. So why not order the assembly from ebay and use the pump and other parts that are the same
fbn ent, go back to ronnies site and check the parts number from the 02 and 06 road kings. Almost all the parts are the same numbers.
2013 CVO Ultra

fbn ent

I was burned by one pump assembly on E-Bay. Got my money back but still...
Aeromotive is the go to for the hot rodders I know.

blown alcohol

ok, it just looks to be factory Harley OEM parts is why I am interested. Yes, the assembly part# is different but it has the correct fuel pump number that match.
Did you buy a new harley part, or an aftermarket on ebay?
I understand about problems with ebay. I asked seller a question yesterday, and waiting on a reply.

Maybe someone will chime in that knows the difference in these drop in assemblies.
2013 CVO Ultra

fbn ent

March 18, 2023, 09:48:58 AM #29 Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:17:10 PM by kd
It was an assembly for an '07 Ultra with minimal mileage. Received it and found it to be an aftermarket pump. I don't think the seller even knew that from how quickly I received the refund ... If you want a used OEM unit, I would recommend finding a reputable bike wrecker that you can talk to face to face.

blown alcohol

I do not see the upload button for some reason, but the ebay part came and it looks to be NOS fuel pump, filter, and regulator my friend can use on his 03 ultra.
Yes the part# is for the 06 road king, but it is still the same pump, filter, hoses, and regulator
I will post pics when I find the upload image.
Has a 2018 build date

2013 CVO Ultra

blown alcohol

62897-01B is not obsolete. I just bought one this evening with 8/29/23 date.

I search HD site and they are several within 75-100 miles of me.
If you are in need go to HD website and search the part# for your local dealers. It will say low stock or unavailable. If low stock call they will probably have just one.
Dealer said they just received this weeks ago and I had him look part # up again and it says January backorder date. Well, at least we can still get them. 
2013 CVO Ultra

03rg

I went with these guys for my 03 a couple years ago. Only road it for a couple seasons before 19 became my daily driver. It was working fine last time I had it out.

https://www.highflowfuel.com/product-result/?ymmq=lk_motorcycle-dirt-bike~yr_2003~mk_harley-davidson~dq_road-glide-fltri-~zp_efi