April 28, 2024, 07:38:07 AM

News:

110” CVO upgrades

Started by Brad103, January 15, 2023, 05:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad103

Looking into the S&S 640 for my 2013 CVO 110". Billet cam plate lifters and improved oiler. 
Question is anyone out there done these cams?  Looking mainly for 3000-5000 rpm torque. Not going to be hot rodding it that much. 
Bike has 10,000 pretty easy miles on it. 

MikeL

i have a pair in my 2000 RKC 124 @ 11.5to1 compression. Have 110 heads ported to 310cfm. That cam likes compression and with that lift a gear drive is much better than chain. An S&S 625 could work or a 585.

Ohio HD

January 15, 2023, 09:12:43 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:48:19 AM by Ohio HD
Those 640 cams like higher compression, and or displacement increase. If the motor stays the same compression it is now, they'll be pretty darn soft under 3,000 rpm to 3,500 rpm.
You also will need new valve springs to allow the 640 cams to work in a stock 110 head.

Look through the Dyno section for 110 motor builds, see if any make the power where you want it. Then see what they have for parts and modifications.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/board,12.0.html

kd

KD

JSD

:agree: You cant fit that cam in a stock 110 it wont suit it

Ohio HD

I'll add, the 110 heads as they come from HD will only handle at best a 0.595" valve lift. If you plan to leave the heads alone and run them stock with stock compression I would be looking at cams that have an intake closing around 32° to 40°. Duration around the 230° to 245° range.

To help with cams the group needs to know what you might be doing with the heads, compression, etc.

hrdtail78

For what you want.  The Tman 580 would fit the bill nicely.  Doesn't have to have head work but 110 heads sure seem to respond well to it.  I don't think you are going to get the 640 to work where you want it.

I believe SE has 10.5 pistons for .010 over.  If not.  I know suburban Speed does.
Semper Fi

Brad103

Ok I've got the S&S 570g cam set ordered. 
Also the S&S header pipe and a V&H tuner. 
Anyone out there with these similar mods on their 110?  What performance improvements did you see?

Ohio HD

This sheet is what you might expect to see with those cams. This sheet has a stock baseline, blues lines and the S&S 570 cams red lines. I assume this dyno sheet shows with stock CVO exhaust as nothing else is specified.

Torque is about 2 ft lb more, but not until later in the RPM, about 3,600 RPM and up. Below 3,600 RPM you'll probably see a drop in torque as the sheet shows.

HP is about 10 more. If you plan to improve the mid to upper, this is probably a good representation of what you'll get.   

To get the most from these cams, a little more compression would be helpful. As well a true dyno tune will always make a big difference in getting the most from the motor.

Tail Ridr

I would have to add, the fp-3 will not give the same results as the tts or pv units and I would also have to ask if your run out has been checked as it appears you ordered gear drive cams
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Ohio HD

Yeah, I was hoping the 'g' was a typo or from a copy and paste from a list.

HighOnHD

You may want to consider the build just completed on my water-cooled 110 CVO. Here is the Dyno chart. My objective was all about reliability since planning on an Alaska trip. I essentially said if I could get stock power or better but with improved reliability I would be happy. Had crank done, S&S MR103 (lower lift), heads done (no porting. 94cc), bored to 113, and tuned. Could not be more pleased with the final results. Shout out to Don (HD Street Perf), Brian (Performance Twin Cam), and a special shout out to Jimmy (Griswold Performance) who absolutely will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy! I would also like to say thanks to Lucas at Fuel Moto as I needed a new Jackpot pipe to replace my second Fullsac that cracked, and I also wanted a PV4. They were also awesome and responded fast! The PV4 setup is by far more user friendly than my TTS setup.

Well I don't want to bother hosting the Dyno chart somewhere to post a link (maybe I am missing something), so results: torque reaches 119 @3k, HP reaches 111 @5.3k
Cheers.

HighOnHD

February 03, 2023, 12:39:29 PM #12 Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:48:41 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Brad103 on January 15, 2023, 05:00:55 PMLooking into the S&S 640 for my 2013 CVO 110". Billet cam plate lifters and improved oiler.
Question is anyone out there done these cams?  Looking mainly for 3000-5000 rpm torque. Not going to be hot rodding it that much.
Bike has 10,000 pretty easy miles on it.

PS. Fully addressing original aim.. Torque peaks at 119 @ 3k. No dips prior and stays flat until 4.5k and tapers to 115 by 5k rpm.

Also have 1.75" Fullsac baffles along with the Jackpot.

hrdtail78

Quote from: Brad103 on February 02, 2023, 07:04:59 PMOk I've got the S&S 570g cam set ordered.
Also the S&S header pipe and a V&H tuner.
Anyone out there with these similar mods on their 110?  What performance improvements did you see?

What is the target compression for your build?
Semper Fi

Tail Ridr

Quote from: HighOnHD on February 03, 2023, 08:22:01 AMI essentially said if I could get stock power or better but with improved reliability I would be happy. Had crank done, S&S MR103 (lower lift)  , heads done (no porting. 94cc), bored to 113, and tuned.

Nothing wrong with a little improvement in performance and better reliability...lower lift?, than what? S&S 570 mentioned is .570 lift but S&S MR-103 is .585
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

HighOnHD

Sorry should have specified I believe it is lower lift than the stock cam. 

rigidthumper

Stock CVO 110 cam has .550I, .556E lift.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HighOnHD

February 04, 2023, 08:53:39 AM #17 Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 09:06:26 AM by HighOnHD
Well my apologies. That's why I had someone else build it! I just assumed this cam would be less stressful on the lifters than the SE 255. My bad. Maybe the only "more reliability " I achieved was through spring pressure changes in heads?? Like I said I told them my objective and let them do the rest. Time and miles will tell as far as reliability. My dyno chart and how it rides and feels now more than satisfied with that!
I will add that I did have it dynoed twice. Once with Fullsac baffles and once with stock mufflers. Huge difference with major dip in torque so obviously went with the baffles. Was trying for a little peace and quiet 😊