April 27, 2024, 08:40:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Evo head gaskets

Started by oldskool, January 22, 2023, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

So my neighbor got a Evo softail and it's in need of some love. I'm replacing the gaskets from cylinders up. Its been awhile so my question is should I use stock or a aftermarket? He had purchased oem gasket kit. This oem kit doesn't have the orings for the locating dowels for heads. Did they not use the orings with oem ? Or did they just forget to put them in the kit. Like I said it's been awhile. I used to wrench alot but I don't like I used to unfortunately. TIA.

Deye76

Cometic is what I would use. Their kits have everything you'll need.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

rigidthumper

The latest factory head gaskets for EVO models didn't use the oring on the head gasket.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jsachs1

If your head gaskets are 3 or 4 piece coated metal, don't use O-rings. If the head gaskets are composite fiber, use the O-rings. Be careful on the head torquing, as Evos pull cylinder studs easily. :cry:
John

JW113

Amen to that!

You did not say what year EVO. Some pull studs more than others. Seems the '95 and later (??) they changed the case design and studs, as I recall those are fairly robust. The earlier ones, not so much. If that is what you are dealing with, plan ahead and be prepared to TimeSert the cases ->WHEN<- the studs pull. My experience has been this is not an IF thing...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JSD

Also the early studs where fitted with the lip facing up and if setting squish with thinner gasket the nut can bottom on the lip. Also they changed head nuts to a better quality identified by stamping on nut. 

FSG

Quote from: JW113 on January 26, 2023, 06:16:33 PMSeems the '95 and later (??) they changed the case design and studs, as I recall those are fairly robust.

:up:   SB M1043 dated May 24 1994 refers

oldskool

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.