May 04, 2024, 08:40:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Harley reduced effort clutch kit pn 36808-05

Started by 02 Ultra, November 13, 2008, 03:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Ultra

Will this kit work with my build? Mild 95" 96 torque 86 hp. I have the screaming eagle spring in there now.
Thanks
:smiled:
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

DGlide04

It should.  I have the same kit that I installed in my 2004 FXD with a 95" build, 98/97 and it works like a charm.  It's recommended and you'll be glad you did.

FSG

yes, but if you have a few spare $$ pass on it and install a VPC instead.

marc

I had one but went for the VPC a year ago...No regrets and worth every $$...

00FHHRCI

November 13, 2008, 05:45:33 PM #4 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:47:11 PM by 00FHHRCI
Greetings,
I have a 2000 Roadking that I had the easy clutch installed in.  I then had the big bore kit installed.  I went to ride it home after the big bore kit and the clutch slipped like crazy when accelerating.  I turned around and went right back to the dealer and they installed the screamin eagle spring.  I've had no problems since.

James

02 Ultra

dglide04,
So you installed the spring that came with the kit and you do not have any slippage is that right? Everyone seems to say go to the VPC but all I am looking for is simply less clutch effort and no slippage. I asked this once before and someone said they installed just the ramps and left the screaming eagle spring in but it wore out the ramps and balls. Just can't seem to get this nailed down. dglide04 how many miles since you changed?
Thanks

HIPPO

If you want you can just use the 06 ramps and keep the SE spring, no problem. Use new balls.

If you do the work yourself.

If you have to pay labor then it costs almost or as much as the VPC (on a touring bike).

02 Ultra

Hipppo,
If I went with the vpc and left everything else alone how much would that reduce the clutch effort? I know you used to sell these vpc devices what do they cost? Do you still sell them?
Thanks
:smile:

Mike52

November 14, 2008, 06:40:29 AM #8 Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:46:40 AM by Mike52
Ultra, I have a VPC that I just removed from a bike that I sold. I don't remember the model number, but I had it in a bike with 90hp/102tq, it should work fine in your bike. If you're interested, let me know. I'll try to find the model number for you.

Mike

I checked the AIM site, mine is the VP84T
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

ICANTD55

If you want you can just use the 06 ramps and keep the SE spring, no problem. Use new balls.
If you do the work yourself

As hippo said , I just did this , and I had the easy pull in the bike . I feel that the clutch pull feels better than the easy pull and the ramps appeared to be a little longer so less chance of over pull and jumping the ramps.JMHO
RICK , MA

apendejo

I did just like Hippo said. S/E spring w/ '06 ramps. Feels almost like the stock '03 clutch pull.
AP

Mike52

If a light pull on the clutch lever is all you're after, the reduced effort ramps work very well. I'm not a fan of using the 'softer' '06 clutch spring that comes in the kit, I would prefer more clamping power on the clutch discs even on a stock engine. I feel it's a different ball game if the engine has been worked on and puts out more power, especially more torque. Then I would prefer the VPC for the reduced effort and the increase in clamping power, the best of both. JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

03deuce

I'm using the reduced effort clutch upgrade and the VPC that I got from HIPPO.  The clutch pull is almost to easy.  Sometimes, doesn't fell like it is hooked to anything.  lol!  My only complaint is the clutch engagement is out further from the handlebar than what I like, but I have adjusted it several times using the various methods mentioned on this board without much change.  The clutch does not slip a bit.   :up:

HIPPO

Quote from: 02 Ultra on November 14, 2008, 05:29:58 AM
Hipppo,
If I went with the vpc and left everything else alone how much would that reduce the clutch effort? I know you used to sell these vpc devices what do they cost? Do you still sell them?
Thanks
:smile:

Yes. Still sell them.

It just depends what the priorities are.
I you wanted to do it the easy way through the derby cover you could use the 84T which lowers effort maybe 15 or 20%, but this also allows you to use a lighter spring, in the case of the power you mention and if the bike has stock primary ratio even the stock 06 spring. This makes the effort very light. I run this (mine is 83T because it has been in there for a long time) with more power. If someone had a handicap and wanted to spend the extra then the 06 ramps can also be added.

All depends what you want to do, if you can do the work yourself, etc.

If you want prices e mail me, do not use private messaging because I don't read them.
A used one is as good as a new one, there is no real wear on them. Maybe Mike charges you less then a new one.  ;D ;D

DGlide04

Quote from: 02 Ultra on November 13, 2008, 06:32:19 PM

dglide04,
So you installed the spring that came with the kit and you do not have any slippage is that right? Everyone seems to say go to the VPC but all I am looking for is simply less clutch effort and no slippage. I asked this once before and someone said they installed just the ramps and left the screaming eagle spring in but it wore out the ramps and balls. Just can't seem to get this nailed down. dglide04 how many miles since you changed?
Thanks

02 Ultra, sorry I missed your post.  I've had no slippage problems at all with a couple of thousand miles on the HD Reduced Effort Clutch.  This is on my FXD with a mild 95" build, SE 251's, flat top pistons, headwork and a high flow pipe.  It puts out about 98/96 depending which dyno run you look at.  It is not ridden like a crotch rocket, but not babied either.  Even dropping the clutch a few times by "accident", no slippage at all.  Just a nice easy pull and engagement of the clutch.

Lovetoride007

Hippo
Can you explain a little more about the 06 ramps, how are they different from the  reduced effort clutch kit,
Thanks Mike

03deuce

Mike,
I'm pretty sure that Harley went to the reduced effort clutch style ramps in 06.  In other words, if you get a set of stock 06 ramps and/or the reduced effort clutch kit the ramps will be the same.

Lovetoride007

FSG

November 29, 2008, 07:04:21 PM #18 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 07:07:03 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
if you get a set of stock 06 ramps and/or the reduced effort clutch kit the ramps will be the same.

yep, the same,   :up:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]