April 28, 2024, 07:41:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Help needed identifying front and rear oem pistons

Started by Adam76, February 16, 2023, 05:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

OK, so I've accidently mixed up my oem 2019 107" barrels and pistons.

I need to know which piston belongs with which cylinder and the only hope I have is that they have different numbers on each piston.

If anyone can tell me which is front and which is rear, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

JSD

JSD

Also stock  pistons i believe have offset pin holes favouring the thrust side . EPA thing to keep noise to a minimum. 

Adam76

Quote from: JSD on February 16, 2023, 07:35:50 PMAlso stock  pistons i believe have offset pin holes favouring the thrust side . EPA thing to keep noise to a minimum.
OK Thanks I'll check that.  Valve pockets look to be the same size?

DTTJGlide

They are the same front & rear, that's what I always thought, but checked the parts catalog to be sure & they list only one part number & you need two if replacing. Are you trying to match them to the cylinders they came out of?

Adam76

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 16, 2023, 11:34:56 PMThey are the same front & rear, that's what I always thought, but checked the parts catalog to be sure & they list only one part number & you need two if replacing. Are you trying to match them to the cylinders they came out of?
Yes, there is only the one part number. So they are the same front and rear...
I am simply trying to match them to the cylinders they came from, as I got them mixed up.  :doh:

DTTJGlide

As poor as MOCO's tolerances are you might make them better, or worse if you switch them :hyst:

Adam76

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 17, 2023, 12:13:27 AMAs poor as MOCO's tolerances are you might make them better, or worse if you switch them :hyst:

yeah, you're not wrong there!   :hyst:

louloupa

Quote from: JSD on February 16, 2023, 07:35:50 PMAlso stock  pistons i believe have offset pin holes favouring the thrust side . EPA thing to keep noise to a minimum.

KB pistons have offset pin holes .So,there is a front and a rear pistons .They are the only ones like that i know .That's a good solution .   

JSD

Ohio HD

Quote from: Adam76 on February 16, 2023, 05:36:04 PMOK, so I've accidently mixed up my oem 2019 107" barrels and pistons.

I need to know which piston belongs with which cylinder and the only hope I have is that they have different numbers on each piston.

If anyone can tell me which is front and which is rear, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Adam, we can see the pistons are both facing towards the front of the bike. Are the valve reliefs the same size and depth? Meaning the two on each piston with the arrow pointing in there direction. If one is deeper and maybe wider, that may tell the tale. The deeper and wider most likely would be the intake reliefs. And be the rear head.  Just trying to understand what is different between them.

Adam76

Thanks OHIO, all 4 (actually all 8) of the valve reliefs look to be the same size depth. But I will remeasure them.

There was one piston with a small amount of carbon build up almost in the centre of the piston top, and the other had thicker and more widespread carbon build up. I'm pretty sure from memory the rear piston had the most carbon build up.

mike jesse

Are the piston skirts the same front and rear?
If not, the thrust side should give you a clue.

JSD

The rear piston if having the relief faces foward

Dan89flstc

March 19, 2023, 07:01:40 PM #14 Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 07:06:31 PM by Dan89flstc
The OEM pistons are the same part number front and rear.

The front side of the piston is clearly marked with an arrow.

There is no way to tell which piston came from which cylinder, unless you see some witness marks that give you a clue.

Engine manufacturers have been offsetting the wrist pin location long before there was an EPA.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Adam76

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 19, 2023, 07:01:40 PMThe OEM pistons are the same part number front and rear.

The front side of the piston is clearly marked with an arrow.

There is no way to tell which piston came from which cylinder, unless you see some witness marks that give you a clue.

Engine manufacturers have been offsetting the wrist pin location long before there was an EPA.

Thanks Dan, the witness marks in going by are the excesive carbon build up on the rear piston.

As far as off set wrist pins, when test fitting the pistons and cylinders, there didn't seem to be any issues, so maybe I guessed right? The motor turns over easily by hand.

Thanks