April 27, 2024, 06:27:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam sprocket and crank sprocket alignment

Started by Adam76, March 05, 2023, 06:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam76

March 05, 2023, 06:30:13 PM Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:22:33 PM by FSG
Hi guys, I was checking my sprocket alignment after installing the feuling crank sprocket and the new camshaft.
Manual says  .009" or less difference between the two with the oem .110" spacer,  and mine measured .015"  So I'm guessing I'm going to have to order the next size up thickness spacer (.120")..

I also noticed that with the cam sprocket sliding onto the teeth of the end of the camshaft all the way up against the back spacer -- it allows the cam itself to move in and out a huge amount as seen in my pictures...  is this normal? Or have I missed something really obvious?

The last thing that doesn't look right is that the crank sprocket doesn't look all the way seated onto the pinion shaft? I torqued it down to 30lbs and that's as far a it goes in. There's a gap. Is this also normal?

Thanks in advance.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

rigidthumper

Spacer aligns the two sprockets, and the bolts hold the pieces in place. I check alignment with both bolts snugged to 20#
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 05, 2023, 07:42:20 PMSpacer aligns the two sprockets, and the bolts hold the pieces in place. I check alignment with both bolts snugged to 20#

Thanks, yes I rechecked the alignment with it @ 20 lbs and got the same result. I will order the next size spacer.

My main concern was the amount of sideways movement the cam itself has, even once the spacer and sprocket is put into place (see my first 2 pictures above) it has nothing really holding it into the case so there is no lateral movement?  I hope that makes sense.

rigidthumper

It floats, so the cam may rotate without binding. The cam plate sets the end play, and the spacer sets alignment.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Adam76

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 06, 2023, 06:55:32 AMIt floats, so the cam may rotate without binding. The cam plate sets the end play, and the spacer sets alignment.

Thanks, I just didn't realise how much end play there was for the cam itself.... it's got like 3/8" of an inch movement between the case and the cam plate??

JSD

Sounds alot Adam ? You went with 30-30 Star. I would ask Bryce.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Adam76 on March 06, 2023, 02:39:05 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on March 06, 2023, 06:55:32 AMIt floats, so the cam may rotate without binding. The cam plate sets the end play, and the spacer sets alignment.

Thanks, I just didn't realise how much end play there was for the cam itself.... it's got like 3/8" of an inch movement between the case and the cam plate??

That's without the cam gear and shim bolted on, correct? That would be normal. As rigidthumper said, until it's all bolted up, the end play is not set yet.

The rear cam in the Twin Cam motor is the same.

Adam76

March 06, 2023, 09:05:19 PM #7 Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:21:23 PM by Adam76
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 06, 2023, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: Adam76 on March 06, 2023, 02:39:05 PM

That's without the cam gear and shim bolted on, correct? That would be normal. As rigidthumper said, until it's all bolted up, the end play is not set yet.

OK thanks for the reply. Not sure what you mean by "cam gear". But yes, I thought everything including the shim was in place.

With the camplate torqued down in place, the cam sprocket spacer in place and the cam sprocket it self pressed on right up against the spacer behind it, there is still 0.28" end play of the camshaft -- which has to be wrong?? I understand that the cam needs a little end play to rotate freely - but not .28"

If you look closely at the pictures below, hopefully you can see exactly what I'm referring to. screwing in the bolt and the thick washer does not make any difference to the endplay of the camshaft - due to the diameter of the screw and its washer, they only serve to hold the sprocket in place, they don't reduce the cam's end play. If that makes sense.

The second picture shows how deep the end of the camshaft sits inside the sprocket.

Ohio HD

Is the bolt not threading all the way into the camshaft? Then the bolt's too long or the cam threads are screwed up. Try it with the stock cam, how far does the bolt thread in? Compare the two cams that way.

Adam76

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 06, 2023, 09:13:29 PMIs the bolt not threading all the way into the camshaft? Then the bolt's too long or the cam threads are screwed up. Try it with the stock cam, how far does the bolt thread in? Compare the two cams that way.

:bf:

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  I just realised that the camshaft end has an internal thread - so when the bolt and washer are inserted and torqued up, it pulls the cam and takes up the free play....

Sorry gents. Rookie error.