April 27, 2024, 12:57:17 PM

News:

Adjustable pushrod question

Started by Alienball, March 07, 2023, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alienball

I was setting my 2nd pushrod, and at about 10 or 11 turns (24 tpi) I backed it off and reset my 0 lash, then I counted my 24 flats. My question is, would backing it off change my 0 lash that 2nd time?
I know- dumba**

my first lifter took 70 minutes to bleed down. But the 2nd is going on 2 hours.  Yes I'm on the base circle.  It's about 55 degrees in my shop.

kd

Quote from: Alienball on March 07, 2023, 06:15:32 PMI was setting my 2nd pushrod, and at about 10 or 11 turns (24 tpi) I backed it off and reset my 0 lash, then I counted my 24 flats. My question is, would backing it off change my 0 lash that 2nd time?
I know- dumba**

my first lifter took 70 minutes to bleed down. But the 2nd is going on 2 hours.  Yes I'm on the base circle.  It's about 55 degrees in my shop.

IMO Taking a long time to bleed down is a good thing.  How are you confirming it has in fact bled down?
KD

Alienball

Spinning the pushrod with my fingers

kd

Quote from: Alienball on March 07, 2023, 06:49:11 PMSpinning the pushrod with my fingers

:up:   The front intake can be quicker sometime with the pushrod angle or engines that the oil galleries and lifters are not charged.  Air compresses and leaks out easier.  :teeth:
KD

Alienball

March 07, 2023, 07:02:05 PM #4 Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 07:07:15 PM by Alienball
By compressing the lifter with those first 11 turns, and then backing it off and starting again at zero lash, is zero lash changed because those 11 turns maybe pushed some of the oil out or would the 0 lash be the same the second time. I guess I'm wondering could that tappet be compressed more now because I backed off and started over.  (I did mot do tjat to the first one- I did that one right).         These are on the rear int/exhaust.
Lifters have 1,000 miles on them so they r charged

kd

Quote from: Alienball on March 07, 2023, 07:02:05 PMBy compressing the lifter with those first 11 turns, and then backing it off and starting again at zero lash, is zero lash changed because those 11 turns maybe pushed some of the oil out or would the 0 lash be the same the second time. I guess I'm wondering could that tappet be compressed more now because I backed off and started over.  (I did mot do tjat to the first one- I did that one right).         These are on the rear int/exhaust.
Lifters have 1,000 miles on them so they r charged

Zero lash is the point when there is no shake in the pushrod.  You will feel a very light resistance in turning it when the shake disappears because it is now ready to compress the spring.  If you had turned it down and some of the oil was squeezed out that won't change that first contact feel.  In fact you can do it with no oil in the lifters.  If the galleries are charged with oil, the lifters will recharge almost immediately.  For your purposes, when the pushrod tip is not loose in the lifter cup, that is zero lash and any previous adjusting (even though backed off) will be irrelevant.
KD

Alienball