May 01, 2024, 01:45:52 AM

News:

Cam chain life

Started by fbn ent, March 12, 2023, 11:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

As I go through my '02 I am now thinking about cam chain life expectancy. I reused one (can't remember which but can look it up in the instructions) when I installed the SE cam plate/oil pump/hyd tensioner assembly around 60k miles ago. How long do these things last?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

My '01 has 125,000 miles of abuse on it. Went to gear drive at 25,000 miles. Primary chain has the same miles.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Quote from: fbn ent on March 12, 2023, 11:48:34 AMAs I go through my '02 I am now thinking about cam chain life expectancy. I reused one (can't remember which but can look it up in the instructions) when I installed the SE cam plate/oil pump/hyd tensioner assembly around 60k miles ago. How long do these things last?

I replaced a set that had around 65k miles om them. I was in the cam chest anyway, and updated the tensioners at the same time. I replaced the chains to have a warm and fuzzy feeling, although I imagine they were fine. Sprockets looked fine as well.

I've never heard of a cam chain letting loose. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on March 12, 2023, 12:56:20 PMMy '01 has 125,000 miles of abuse on it. Went to gear drive at 25,000 miles. Primary chain has the same miles.

I just realized my post makes no sense. Went to gear drive at 25,000 miles, so no cam chain for the last 100,000 miles. (Same lifters for 100,000 miles, if that matters!)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

smoserx1

March 12, 2023, 03:50:49 PM #4 Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 04:03:51 PM by smoserx1
They stretch.  Below is a pic of mine with about 120K miles on the chain (the tensioners only had about 50K).  The chain is stretched and if you look carefully the area where the tensioner is pressing is indented too much.  It was far worse on the inside chain & I wish I had taken a pic of that side too.  This was about 12 years ago and everything was replaced with conversion cams and roller chains.  About a year ago I changed out the now hydraulic tansioner pads which  then had accumulated another  80k or so on them.  The newer type roller chains looked fine.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

SP33DY

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 12, 2023, 02:00:17 PMI've never heard of a cam chain letting loose. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

I had a 2010 Softail come in for "won't start" issue. They said they did a compression test and had zero compression on one cyinder. I don't know what they were smoking, but they didn't notice the piece of cam chain poking out of the cam cover, or the oil all over the place.

This guy ran it until the shoes wore through to expose the steel plunger. I think I may have posted a picture of it in an older post.

Ohio HD

Quote from: SP33DY on March 13, 2023, 07:23:48 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 12, 2023, 02:00:17 PMI've never heard of a cam chain letting loose. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

I had a 2010 Softail come in for "won't start" issue. They said they did a compression test and had zero compression on one cyinder. I don't know what they were smoking, but they didn't notice the piece of cam chain poking out of the cam cover, or the oil all over the place.

This guy ran it until the shoes wore through to expose the steel plunger. I think I may have posted a picture of it in an older post.

I hadn't considered chain death by supported parts failure. That had to be a noisy motor for a while I would think.

billbuilds

Quote from: SP33DY on March 13, 2023, 07:23:48 AM

Wow.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.