April 28, 2024, 08:18:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oversized anti rotation pins

Started by fxstdavew, March 15, 2023, 05:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxstdavew

I don't see a lot of info on these. I measured my stock ones and I have .006 between the lifters and pin. What is the benefit of reducing this clearance to .003 to .004? Does it reduce noise? I don't see any detrimental wear on the lifters or cams.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Ohio HD

March 15, 2023, 06:17:34 AM #1 Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 06:32:48 AM by Ohio HD
I think it's just to keep the lifter roller in a parralel plane with the cam lobe more than anything else. The lifters can rock back and forth in some cases.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

As far as I know Zippers is the only place that sells them. They have them at +0.002" and +0.006". And they're pricey.

FSG turned us onto www.gageshop.com and I came across Meyer Gage Pins

The gage pins from Meyer I know are a little long, so just cutting them to the length of the OEM pin is easy enough. Also mentioned in the post linked below is McMaster Carr also has individual gage pins.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,73962.0.html

Ohio HD

FYI, I set the pin to the lifter distance to 0.002" clearance if I change them.

fxstdavew

Ohio hd, I know Feuling is also selling them . Just trying to decide if they're worth spending the extra money.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Ohio HD

The price from one of the gage businesses makes the decision less expensive. Can a loose pin to lifter clearance cause any big problems? I doubt it. At worst maybe some additional wear on the lifter roller and cam lobe. I doubt it would ever be noticeable. You can see the dimples on the pin above from the lifter rocking against it. I just prefer to setup the motor as tight as possible.

jsachs1

Be very careful using the oversized pins. If they DON'T drop in you stand a good chance of breaking the placement stop/bracket. :cry:
John

Ohio HD

I always check the clearance with the full stroke range of the lifter as well.

wfolarry

Oversize pins are a waste of money.
With the pushrods out crank the motor with the pins removed. If you have a lifter that's trying to rotate you have other problems.
The pins are just a guide if the valvetrain gets unloaded. As long as everything is working like it should they're just along for the ride.

kd

:agree:   The roller and cam surface contact is the real alignment device.
KD