April 27, 2024, 06:10:14 PM

News:

cam swap for wife

Started by bigfoot5x, March 20, 2023, 07:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfoot5x

I have a 2016 Street Glide Special with the 103 HO engine, 9.7:1 compression. It runs pretty good as a Stage I but would not keep up with my last 2 103's after installing Andrews cams. I am collecting parts to build a 110" engine. My wife just asked if I plan to upgrade her 2011 Super Glide Custom. Her Dyna has a Stage I 96" engine.

I am thinking about using my 103 parts on her bike. The HO cam looks to have better lift and duration than her stock 96" cam. My concern is that her Dyna heads do not have compression releases. My 2007 SG did not have compression releases and would occasionally have a problem turning over. Obviously, it had the bigger touring battery and I wonder if her smaller Dyna battery would handle the 103 with 9.7:1 compression. My second thought is to get the S & S Easy start 551 cams for her. Either set up will give her a peppier running bike. She doesn't really use all the power she has now very often but she would probably not want to deal with starting issues. Any thoughts on the stock 103 and cams for that Dyna?

boooby1744

I don't know if I'd want a used cam when you can get an Andrews 48 for a good price. I always like lowering the overall gear ratio when it comes to a 6 speed dyna or softail.

rigidthumper

The 103 top end + Rushmore cams (2dot/3dot) would be a nice improvement over her 96 +current cams (1dot/2dot). The 103 top end when combined with a .030" head gasket would put it at 10:1, and would be a good time to add ACRs. They can be activated with the tuner when tuning is done.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

RTMike

TMan 555 with that compression will start fine without compression releases,and your wife will be happy with the power and torque they produce. :potstir:

bigfoot5x

Stupid me. Back in February, Fuel Moto said it would be 6 weeks to port my heads and they did not have any ready to go. I live in Texas and ride year round and did not want to be down for 6 weeks. I bought a set of heads to be ported and sent them off. If I make these changes, I will have my 103 heads with the CR's. Should be easy to use them on her bike. Thanks, guys.