April 27, 2024, 05:09:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

0.010 head gasket?

Started by boatdoc, March 22, 2023, 03:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatdoc

Anyone ever pulled apart a .030 mls head gasket and used just the upper coated .010 gasket for a twin cam head gasket?
If you did , did it last or is this just a really bad idea destined for failure?

kd

March 22, 2023, 03:57:41 PM #1 Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 04:26:25 PM by kd
I would say that if you have it down to a head gasket change, you would be better off slipping the barrels off and machining the O/A length to reach your desired quench dimension.
KD

chopper

Back when we were kids, couple of us rode 2 stroke street bikes. Used to pull the copper sandwich head  gaskets off, painted the head with copper paint, and buttoned them back up. Ran like hell for a few days.
Of course, we got real good at replacing pistons and rings
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

JSD

boatdoc

Pretty much what I thought, i will find a machine shop to trim the cylinders to length.
Short cuts usually end up costing more in the long run.

FSG

Quote from: boatdoc on March 23, 2023, 08:19:20 PMShort cuts usually end up costing more in the long run.

that they do  :SM:

FSG

Quote from: chopper on March 23, 2023, 05:02:35 PMpainted the head with copper paint, and buttoned them back up

a friend and I did that to our Dirt Yamahas .....  175, 250 & 360 when we were racing back in the mid '70s, of course they were pulled down every Sunday night for a piston polish and a prep for the following weekend

JSD

springs

i have use .010 head gasket on 110 build no problems also use .020 on evo engine.    Take apart .030 gasket spray with hi tack sealer install