April 27, 2024, 03:10:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

DH motorsprocket and s&s 124

Started by HighLiner, March 29, 2023, 08:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

I just ran across this while searching for hard start issues with the 124. Darkhorse has a disclaimer about running the motorsprocket and easy start cams.  Has anybody else experienced this?  I'm having a hot restart issue where is just seems to crank and crank.  Thoughts?

jmorton10

How the heck can the motor sprocket cause that ??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Ohio HD

I've read that on the Internet before. Unless John @ Darkhorse tells you this, I wouldn't see it being a real issue. As I remember reading it, they determined crank deceleration detection based on the ECM reading this causes issues with starting when using Easy Start cams. I can't see how Easy Start cams has anything to do with ECM timing and startup.

HighLiner

April 20, 2023, 08:42:46 AM #3 Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 08:49:58 AM by HighLiner
I found it right on the DH website so I'd consider it legit?  I'm going to uninstall it to verify.

Ohio HD

I saw it on a resellers website. Before you go to all of the trouble to remove it, I'd call them and explain what you have going on. Let them tell you it's the problem. 

Added: I just did see it on their web site. But I would still call them and explain the situation.

Ohio HD

I would think if the problem is the lack of crank deceleration to the ECM, then causing a start issue, that the timing at cranking speed could be adjusted. At least I would plow that ground first.

hrdtail78

Crank position done with CPS.  Engine cycle position done by detecting the deceleration of the crank on compression stroke.

If it is a hot start only issue.  I doubt it has to do with how the ECM knows position.  Even with easy starts.  A hot engine should have more compression and slowing of crank should be more pronounced then over a cold engine. I would bet the problems seen are not dependent on engine temp.

This can always be checked by making sure injectors are popping and you are getting spark during this crank and crank period.  Leave plugs in for this and use a extra plug.
Semper Fi