May 01, 2024, 04:24:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cams for 96"

Started by roadkingdresser, April 01, 2023, 02:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

A friend has a 07 road king and would like a little more low to mid-range torque. What do you think would be a good not too-expensive set up for him? He rides 98% percent two up and they're not real small people. And most of the time in. W.V.
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

The two easiest slip in cams that give good low and midrange are the SE-255 cams and the Andrews 48 cams. Both use stock valve springs, and stock pushrods if you want to reuse them. I'd just use new full compliant inner cam bearings, the cams, and tune as needed. To get he most from them some tuning is best. 

Either set of cams is a big improvement in the 96" motor. I would prefer the Andrews cams. The SE cams "might" crank over harder without compression releases. 

Hossamania

Were it me, I'd go with the 48 cams and proper tune. Proven performers.
Used 255s can often be had for cheap, not a bad choice either.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

boooby1744

PBSTN

48's or s&s551 ez starts. I've used both. And both are equally great imo. But I do like the ez start feature.
2010 flhr. 2003 FLHRSEI2. 1986 SUZUKI GS1150E.

Finn

My buddy has Andrews 48 in his Heritage and is very happy with those.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Breeze

I put 48s in my 2007 Electra Glide. I was 250 lbs. and my saddlebags were always loaded. I could ride known mountain curves one gear higher with good throttle response. My fuel mileage stayed in the low 40 mpg. No additional valve train noise was noticed.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

RoadKingKohn

I would also get new lifters with the new camshaft.

roadkingdresser

Thanks for the info, I'll run this by him and see what he thinks.
roadkingdresser

Ohio HD

Lifters depends on how many miles that bike has, and if it has the original lifters. 2007 had the 'B' lifters. I put an Andrews 48 in my 2009 with 'B' lifters at 26k miles. 15k miles later all is running well. Most 'B' lifters last up into the 100k miles with stock or near stock valve train components.

60wt

I installed the SE 255 in a 2007  Road King, have supertrap 2 into 1 exhaust & TTS tuner...cranks over fine, defiantly wakes it up, had to install  heavier clutch plate because clutch would slip when accelerating in 5th & 6th gear ..really like it...
I'm going nucking futs

Reddog74usa

I have the 48's in my 95 inch RK. Great around town maners and turns on great when you need it with no valve train noise. I ride canyons, twisties and up over some big mountains here in Colorado and have not one complaint. Nice no PMS cams
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

HD-Dyna

I have se 204 cams in my dyna 96ci and love them great mid range torque. True about the B lifters they were quality at 28xxxkms when cam change they had no wear on them plus cam tension shoes were great too. Intake exhaust and 204 cam very happy