April 28, 2024, 12:09:01 AM

News:

Aluminum vs stamped breathers

Started by fxstdavew, April 02, 2023, 07:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxstdavew

I don't remember why the aluminum ones were changed to stamped steel but there is there a benefit to one over the other
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Ohio HD

I honesty think that the stamped steel units were a cost savings part. Cheaper than a casting then machined part. I don't know that there's any functional difference.

kink04fxd

When I did my top end I used the stamped units. IMO, I think they work better than the alum ones.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

Rockout Rocker Products

If you go from cast to stamped make sure you get the whole kit with the shorter bolts. Using the longer original bolts with stamped breathers can crack your heads. Along the same line... completely blow or swab out any oil from the holes or it will have nowhere to go....  :cry:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

fbn ent

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 02, 2023, 11:20:40 AMIf you go from cast to stamped make sure you get the whole kit with the shorter bolts. Using the longer original bolts with stamped breathers can crack your heads. Along the same line... completely blow or swab out any oil from the holes or it will have nowhere to go....  :cry:

Hmm...now you have me wondering. Can you remember the length of either the old ones or the new ones?
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

billbuilds

Quote from: fbn ent on April 02, 2023, 11:24:18 AM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 02, 2023, 11:20:40 AMIf you go from cast to stamped make sure you get the whole kit with the shorter bolts. Using the longer original bolts with stamped breathers can crack your heads. Along the same line... completely blow or swab out any oil from the holes or it will have nowhere to go....  :cry:

Hmm...now you have me wondering. Can you remember the length of either the old ones or the new ones?

I have an unopened packaged of the stamped ones and they're 1-5/8" in length.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Rockout Rocker Products

Google shows 2-1/4 for the old style.

Rockout Rocker Products

Another caution...

I'll just leave this right here.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

late bolt
1/4-20 X 1-11/16 hex flange head grade 8

3746A
early bolt
1/4-20 X 2-1/4 hex flange head grade 8

itsafatboy

this company makes great breathers ,  i use their comp releases and they are best,

https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/

i ended up getting the SS die cast rocker covers for two reasons they have a simple breather setup, and the hole in middle of rocker box releases a lot of heat from heads, then i use two crank vents off heads and breath to a little KN filter works great.