April 28, 2024, 04:48:29 AM

News:

Rocker Shaft Bevel Witness Marks??

Started by Tacocaster, April 02, 2023, 12:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacocaster

April 02, 2023, 12:59:54 PM Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 02:59:28 PM by FSG
Hi guys, just lifted the Rocker Boxes from an '11 103" TC and found these witness marks on the shoulders of the housing mounting bolts (shaft's beveled end). I've never seen marks like these so thought I'd ask the more experienced. My first thought was these can't be the factory originals. I noted the rockers themselves are a nice fit in the housing (no spacers needed).

I also found some (very small amount) of "sludge" build-up right above the bevel, inside the housing's bolt bore. Haven't cleaned it out as yet but it looks to be aluminum at first glance.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

itsafatboy

thats why i had my rocker shafts pinned , could use rocker lockers but i have SS die cast boxes so go them pinned no more worry about play at all   

Ohio HD

If the marks were from the rocker shafts they would look more like this. I'd get new grade 8 rocker arm fasteners. I'd also drop Rocker Lockers in there. This image is from his ad. They do work as he describes.

Tacocaster

Thanks guys! Just asked a buddy and he suggested the "edges" of the bevels were likely "cutting" (wrong word) into the bolt shoulders as I was removing them. Makes sense if you note the "threaded" look to them.

Yes, Ohio. That's the witness marks I'm used to seeing and why these were a surprise.

Rocker Lockers are the next purchase.
Thanks again, Guys!

kd

Quote from: Tacocaster on April 02, 2023, 04:30:28 PMThanks guys! Just asked a buddy and he suggested the "edges" of the bevels were likely "cutting" (wrong word) into the bolt shoulders as I was removing them. Makes sense if you note the "threaded" look to them.

Yes, Ohio. That's the witness marks I'm used to seeing and why these were a surprise.

Rocker Lockers are the next purchase.
Thanks again, Guys!

:agree:  That was my thought when I saw the pic.  It appears the fastener turned 10 turns and was scored by the sharp edge of the rocker shaft flat. 
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

PATENTED Rockout rocker shaft inserts... thousands of tapping Harley engines cured worldwide.  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Tacocaster

Heh-heh-heh...Good one, John! - and agree with you.

Thanks KD. Also helps explain the build-up of "sludge" as I called it, above the bevel inside the bolt bore (bevel's edge cutting into bolt's shoulder when originally tightened - Solids not exactly on Cam base circle perhaps?)

Mystery solved.