April 27, 2024, 03:42:51 PM

News:

S&S 585 cam in stock 96ci

Started by HD-Dyna, April 09, 2023, 01:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD-Dyna

Hello all. My mechanic has suggested and very strong on the opinion to fit a S&S 585 cam in my stage 1 96ci twin cam. He said his done it many of times with out problems or issues and the bike will go hard and reliable with out any other work besides the general bolt in cam change parts. I thought this cam needs high compression and more. Any opinions if people have fitted one to stock twin cams?

Tail Ridr

April 09, 2023, 02:28:32 AM #1 Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 02:38:01 AM by Tail Ridr
When it comes down it, do you ride lower rpm's to 4000 rpm's routinely maybe an S&S 551, or maybe 1500-5000 rpm range maybe an S&S 583 (especially for a lighter bike like a Dyna) an S&S 570 would fit in nicely in the 3000-5500 range or prefer 3500-6000 rpm range? The 585 with a 45deg. ivc will be happier at 10.5:1 compression. I know what S&S says, but...will you be happy with the softer bottom end. And...there are still other cams other than S&S.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

HD-Dyna

Thanks for that I know it's to choose one for riding style is important . To be honest I was looking at an SE204 much different to 585 but he telling me the 204 is not much of an upgrade from standard cam. And of course I do what a noticeable upgrade of power torque. He has been a great mechanic but unsure of his recommendation. I'll check out the S&S 583 as you mentioned. Thanks for your input 

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

FXDBI

A S&S 585 would be a dog until 3500rpm in a stock 96 needs more squeeze. Does better with more cubes to. Bob

FXDBI

HD-Dyna

Hilly13

Andrew's 48 goes well in a stock comp 96, SE 204 would be ok as well in a light bike, even better with 103 jugs an pistons.
Just because its said don't make it so

HD-Dyna

Thanks for the reply's I think I'll definitely scrap the S&S 585, I didn't think it was a good choice. Andrews 48 looks to be the one 

JSD

HD-Dyna

Hey everyone I ended up installing a SE 204 cam and for what it's worth I love it!!

Coff 06

Running any cam that's around ".580" lift in a stock engine will definitely be a dog at anything under about 3500 rpm ,like has already been said.
Been there done that.
Pick the 204 or similar for stock.Or the Andrews 48 I hear is a great cam for stock You will be much happier.
I ride a FXSTS so also a lighter bike.   JMHO.  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

JSD

I thought more lift more torque  :scratch:

Hossamania

Quote from: JSD on July 16, 2023, 07:16:31 PMI thought more lift more torque  :scratch:

With the right combo.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coff 06

Quote from: HD-Dyna on July 15, 2023, 08:47:39 PMHey everyone I ended up installing a SE 204 cam and for what it's worth I love it!!

Glad things worked well for you.Sometimes bigger cam's sound great.But the practical ones are a lot more fun to ride.       Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Arseclown

Se204 is an under-rated cam and works well in a 103. I know from having one in a former road glide. Less so in a 96 but in a lighter dyna it's no surprise you're happy

S&s 585 in a stock 96ci engine is a terrible recommendation. If that's your mechanic's recommendation I'd be questioning his common sense

HD-Dyna

Yeah I hear in the 103 they are really good, might put 103 jugs next and some cleaned up heads. The mechanics recommendation was out of Wack I agree, funny though he said installing the 204"s I won't be happy and it's basically like stock cam but after he installed them and I picked it up he was saying how good it was running and pulls strong torque all round. He never mentioned the s&s 585 again. Another reminded to people a certified Harley mechanic doesn't always have the best opinions even though they work on them all day everyday 

tdrglide

When I purchased a new 09 street glide 96" back when, the 204 cam was recommended to me by the sales manager as nice upgrade. My tuner was a little surprised and happy with how it tuned up. So was I. Nice exhaust note too

An andrews 57 advanced 4deg is basically the same but with more lift.

Quote from: HD-Dyna on July 15, 2023, 08:47:39 PMHey everyone I ended up installing a SE 204 cam and for what it's worth I love it!!

Not that it's the most important thing... but a good side effect imho... the se204 has a nice cam chop too  :bike:  :bike: good choice!

Hossamania

I've always liked the 204 cam sound.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

I have a 585 in my S&S 110 Dyna build. The tech told me not to use it unless I was prepared to shift at 4500 or higher. It took me some time to adapt to a new style of high-rpm riding, but now I'm loving it. It really screams in that range.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

HD-Dyna

Agree guys the sound of it and idle is just an extra bonus that comes with it. People don't second guess if its cammed or not. To me it's still so many years later a top rated bolt in cam. Tough exhaust note, great midrange torque pull and no loss of bottom end. And doesn't stress the motor or heads and will be as reliable as stock. Ticks all boxes 

Hilly13

I put one in a mate's deluxe and road tuned it for him a few years back, he still thanks me lol.
Just because its said don't make it so

HD-Dyna

Talk about tune. I haven't even dyno tuned it yet. Loaded a tuned map my mechanic had for a S&S 510 cam which was the closet he had as in lift. Bike doesn't surge, back fire or miss. Smooth all around. Could only imagine what a proper tune could do but I'm surprised it's runs great with this S&S cam tune 

mark mpdc

04' RoadKing Classic 117",54cams,60mm TB,10.7.1/210/195x195ccp,60mm TB