April 27, 2024, 01:45:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I love my 2019 FLHTK 114, except for a few nagging things.

Started by Ken R, April 10, 2023, 12:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

Where's the lope?  It doesn't sound like a Harley like my 2013 did and I miss it.
I miss the "Harley Lope" at idle.  It runs so dang smoothly! 

First,
I hate the way it revs to 3,000 RPM upon cold start (higher when cooler, a bit less when only cool). It grates on me every time I start the engine.
I've checked with propane gas and also with parts cleaner . . . I haven't been able to definitively say that it has an intake manifold leak.  But I live in HOT Dallas and get stopped in traffic where the heat under the tank is high.  So warping of the plastic manifold MAY be in my future. 
       I went ahead and ordered a new S&S intake manifold from California Phil. 

I've also decided to possibly forego any warranty issues (it's on the ESP now, anyway), and get the engine tuned.  I've been using my PowerVision on this motorcycle, only for engine and trip information.  Time to let it do what it does so well . . . be a tuning portal into the ECM. 

And finally, while I'm doing all of this, I'll install the newer oil pump (original cam plate) and a new cam. On one trip, my gas mileage went to 29 mpg for one leg for no apparent reason.  Sumping?  Maybe. I think the oil pump needs the upgraded anyway for piece of mind if for no other reason.     

NOW, Which cam to install has been a tough decision, but I am settling in on the TTS100.  It puts the torque where I put almost all my miles . . . droning along at 75 mph in 6th gear below 3,000RPM.  Deciding on a cam is a hard decision even though I know that I wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between it and other low-end torque cams.   But Steve wrote something on another forum that sticks in my mind. 

For those with experience with the TTS100 cam, does anyone think or know if it will provide a Harley idle sound? 

rigidthumper

If you decat the headpipe, that will cause the mufflers to be louder. You can use the PV to lower the idle RPM (both at cold startup and warm idle) to give a more traditional sound.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ken R

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 10, 2023, 07:48:29 PMIf you decat the headpipe, that will cause the mufflers to be louder. You can use the PV to lower the idle RPM (both at cold startup and warm idle) to give a more traditional sound.

I have the Screamin' Eagle High flow exhaust system and there aren't any obstructions in the headers.  The cats are in the mufflers. 
950 to 990 RPM idle is fine with me, I think.  That's where all of my previous bikes were set. 

I have the Harley ESP for 3 or 4 more years, but I'm thinking about cashing it in and buying an aftermarket ESP that doesn't void the engine and powertrain warranty just because it's tuned with PV. 

Ken R

I've finally selected a cam!  RS 468 is my choice.  It appears to be a very popular touring cam with the torque curve farther to the left than others.  My tuner, "The Dyno Difference" in Dallas also has gotten really good results with that cam.  Ed as been tuning my motorcycles since my 2002 ElectraGlide.  He knows what I am looking for and I trust him. 

The engine won't lope as I wish, but it'll sound different than stock. 

Ordered the new cam and stuff required from California Phil this evening.  I think he's closed today and tomorrow, but with any luck, I'll have everything needed by the upcoming weekend.  I'm ready to start.

Sticking with the stock cam plate because of S&S pinion runout tolerances.  I can't imagine my 2019 meeting the required runout tolerance.  But I WILL install a new Harley oil pump onto the stock cam plate.

I'm leaving it up to Phil to select all the other parts I'll need.

rigidthumper

The RS468 has a really good sound.
Cam, lifters, inner cam bearing, tune, smile.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ken R

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 16, 2023, 07:54:34 PMThe RS468 has a really good sound.
Cam, lifters, inner cam bearing, tune, smile.

All of the above is in progress.  Will start the engine today. 

Ken R

RS 468 cam and Screamin' Eagle oil pump/cam plate installation:  Epilogue

It's a done deal.  Has been for a couple of weeks.  First test ride was a failure.  My bad.  Apparently I didn't torque the exhaust pushrod jam nut tightly enough.  The adjustable pushrod came unadjusted.  Trailered back home and fixed it.  Appears no harm done.  Embarrassing, but no harm done to anything except my ego. 

Went out on a 300 mile highway speed test ride after that with my friend  (2020 FLHTK totally stock) and I (2019 FLHTK with air cleaner, Harley SE exhaust, and RS 468 cam). 
We rode side by side the whole way as we always do, 75 to almost 80 mph as smoothly as we could.  Both our motors ran flawlessly.  At a 200 mile gas stop, we compared mileages.  Mine produced 3 mpg better than his.  Before the cam swap, they were about the same after many tanks of gas on trips.  I must conclude that the RS 468 cam is producing energy more efficiently with the cruising engine RPM matching the cam's torque curve.  There's a Fuel Moto graph showing that it should be the case.  Another gas stop after we parted and my calculated fuel mileage was 41.8 mph.  That's not bad for mostly highway cruising at 75 mph and a little in town to get home.  Here in N. Central Texas, it's hard to achieve over about  37-38 mph at highway speeds.  I've been on dozens of trips, solo and tandem, to prove it.  So I'm quite happy with the result of my work and The Dyno Difference tuning.   
Highway trip to Sedona will put 2,400+ miles on the bike about 10 days from now.  I'll get to compare mileage with 5 other motorcycles going and coming.  It's fun for me.