Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

2006 Dyna 95 inch with flat tops
80 cc decked heads ported
Larry's lifters
S&s pushrods
About 60k miles
Nothing was wrong

I just changed out the cam chains and hydraulic tensioner shoes as general maintenance. Not due to a problem. This was the first start this morning. I am very certain I had all the timing marks lined up and a problem did not present itself until now. I am concerned that it doesn't sound like a lifter.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0R_fkvWmcC8?feature=share
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

tdrglide

How long has it been running. Sometimes takes a minute. Does it have adjustable pushrods?
Sounds to me like a lifter either hasn't pumped up yet or maybe is a bad lifter.
Check pushrods on front cylinder TDC compression stroke and see if one feels really loose. Any up and down motion slop.  Easy to check

misfitJason

S&S standard adjustables. Adjusted at four turns. These and the flyers are the same ones that have been in the bike. The lifters were put back in the same orientation I took them out of. I'll check the tightness when it cools back off

misfitJason

Pushrods are normal and tight when rotating by hand to tdc on each cylinder. Front cylinder gives me a squeak

hrdtail78

Take push rods out.  Turn engine over with starter and visually check oil coming out of each lifter.
Semper Fi

nibroc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what him said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

misfitJason

misfitJason

misfitJason

Here is my thought. I did not line up the dots on the sprockets when I took it apart. I did line them up when putting it back together. I think maybe I am 180 off

smoserx1

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AFRsR76urPJHBO4&cid=281304F79AC9FADD&id=281304F79AC9FADD%213321&parId=root&o=OneUp

I doubt you are off 180°  can't see how anything would run like that.

Rockout Rocker Products

I know it doesn't make sense given the work done but it sounds like a pushrod hitting a tube, Drop the tube(s) and run it briefly.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

kd

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on April 24, 2023, 04:48:50 AMI know it doesn't make sense given the work done but it sounds like a pushrod hitting a tube, Drop the tube(s) and run it briefly.

.... or inspect them and the tubes for contact marks while they are out.
KD

harpwrench

Is it possible you adjusted pushrods at TDC on the exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke, that's what it sounds like in the video

misfitJason

Thermodyne

That sounds like pushrod adjustment.

Ohio HD

April 24, 2023, 08:13:25 PM #15 Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 12:11:28 PM by Ohio HD
Just as an FYI. In the event that the pushrod / lifter was adjusted somewhere on the lobe, watch out when removing the pushrod. The clip in the lifter that retains the piston may have been knocked loose if the pushrod was moving around. If the clip came loose, be carful removing the pushrod so not to loose lose any of the lifters parts.

hrdtail78

Quote from: misfitJason on April 24, 2023, 03:58:07 AMThere is oil pumping out.

I'd say they are pumping up.  I assume when you adjusted them.  Zero lash at top of travel was stiff and took some time to spin freely?

I physically stick my fingers in lifter holes and feel lifters as I spin engine to find base circle of cam lope.  Once I feel intake close.  I stick a cable tie in spark plug hole and spin the engine just a bit to verity piston rising.  I don't care about TDC.  You are going to be off both lobes for 200-300 degrees of engine rotation. 
Semper Fi

misfitJason

April 25, 2023, 05:05:41 PM #17 Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 06:20:56 PM by misfitJason
Small update: popped the top rocker cover off on the front cylinder to make sure I didn't do something stupid like leave the breather bolts loose.

I re adjusted the pushrods making sure I was at tdc on the compression stroke. No change in the noise. Not really audible when hand cranking.

Checked the rocker support plate for any breaks with negative results. I can see oil coming out of the rockers or trying to when I hand spin the motor with the rear wheel. The noise sounds predominately in the front cylinder.

On Thursday I am going to pull back out the cams, cam plate, rods, lifters and pump.

-deuced-

Might be a bit late but I just watched the vid. First thing I'd check would be the front head exhaust gasket.

misfitJason

Update:!!

It is with extreme pleasure that I update with the cause of the problem. Sorry for the delay but I am in the middle of a unit transfer and that comes with paperwork and pat tests/physical bull crap that has been taking up my time.

Upon disassembly of everything I found the cam timing to be one tooth off.

Ohio HD

Could happen to anyone. Why the noise though I wonder. I guess I'd double check the cams carefully to make sure they didn't touch each other. I doubt one tooth would do that however.

misfitJason

motorhogman

I did that myself a couple of years ago..  Felt like sumping.. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor